Clevland Clinic can supersize you

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really was not sure where to put this thread ...it is "Heart Talk" and at the same time "Pre Surgery" or maybe "New Advancments" as her they can get treatment to Ronalds Victims quicker ......but DANG IT ALL ANYWAY SUPERSIZE your order in "SMALL ]talk" THAT IS JUST WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS ...oh well !!

There are actually healthy options at McDonald's. They have salads, oatmeal, yogurt parfaits, grilled chicken...not that I wouldn't rather have a burger and fries. Based on the weight watcher's point system, some of the options aren't as bad as you would think as long as you exercise portion control. There are also people lucky enough not to have to worry about grabbing a burger here and there. I have to admit, my eating habits are horrible, but all of my numbers (cholesterol, triglycerides, etc) are in the good zone, so I don't worry much about it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist playing a little bit of devil's advocate there. I worked at McDonald's for awhile in college, and they were very good to me. I actually do see the "conflict" here :)

There are actually healthy options at McDonald's. They have salads, oatmeal, yogurt parfaits, grilled chicken...not that I wouldn't rather have a burger and fries. Based on the weight watcher's point system, some of the options aren't as bad as you would think as long as you exercise portion control. There are also people lucky enough not to have to worry about grabbing a burger here and there. I have to admit, my eating habits are horrible, but all of my numbers (cholesterol, triglycerides, etc) are in the good zone, so I don't worry much about it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist playing a little bit of devil's advocate there. I worked at McDonald's for awhile in college, and they were very good to me. I actually do see the "conflict" here :)

Not only that but since Mc donalds is one of the first and largest companies to think about making houses for parents and families of children staying in the hospital, some times for weeks or months at a time that are either free or very low cost and are so much nicer than a hotel, since it is as fun (as possible considrring) family atmosphere with food and activities etc to make the whole experience a little less traumatic. I never had a problem with them having a resteraunt in the lobby, especially knowing it helps with the cost of the ronni mac houses and their other charities. Especially for sick children, often weight is not a problem, the hardest thing is to get the kids to eat enough they dont LOSE too much weight recoverying from surgery or many other illnesses. Not to mention, seeing how some kids light up when they get a happy meal as a treat, instead of the hospital food that usually isnt the best. Beside the relationship of mcdonalds and hospitals, I personally not only dont have a problem when I see other fast food like pizza hut in the hospital, but am glad we have alot of choices for cheap tasty food that is NOt hospital food with out leaving the hospital or with in a short walking difference, not only for the patient, but family members who camp out in the hospital and need to get 3 meals a day for themselves. BTW some hospitals with fast food onsite, let you pick a happy meal or pizza hut, as one of your meal choices every so many days, so it doesnt even cost the parent extra to get something their child MIGHT eat, instead of push around on their plate
Is it the healthiest food that you should eat every meal? of course not, but noone makes people choose a Big mac over a salad, or even Mcdonalds over all the other food there, heck Justin got sushii his last couple surgeries for his meal.
I wonder if all these groups that for some reason feel it is their business to decide what someone else should be able to eat or not eat, are going to support the Ronnie houses,or the different Family care centers IN the hospitals that are nice rlaxing rooms and even have free washers and dryers so you dont have to leave the hospital (and spend even MORE Money) to sit in a laundry mat,
to make up for all the financial support lost if people cant choose to buy their happy meals or salads? I'm thinking probably not.

Last edited:
Hey Lynlw, there are three of those Ronald Mcdonald houses in the KCMO area, two are used for terminally ill children's families and one is for those who have other health issues. The children are being treated at Children's Mercy Hospital, where I was a cardiac patient for many years. So there are some good that comes from Mcdonalds. Hugs for everyone today.

During my stay at the CC, I was kinda perplexed about the ironic presence of the McDonalds there as well. It will be disappearing whenever the current contract expires, whenever that occurs. Apparently, the current operations leadership at the CC is none too happy about it being there, but someone in past management allowed McDonalds a 10+ year contract and the cost to term it prematurely is prohibitive. Amazing what you can learn from friendly ICU nurses during the graveyard shift :)

Lyn,
I agree with you. I don't eat at Mackie D's very often but on those rare occasions when I am in their restaurant, I drop a $20 in the donation jar for the Ronald McDonald house. They helped provide housing for my nephew and his wife when their newborn was having heart surgery. It was a blessing for our family. For that they are a great organization!
John

Latest posts

Back