Cleveland Heart Clinic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seabush

Has anyone gone there for a second opinion (aortic valve stenosis)? If so, who have you met with?

Thanks

Crystal

Cleveland heart clinic

Cleveland heart clinic

Cleveland clinic

I went to the Clinic last June and got a 2nd opinion, they did all kinds if tests on me. They did bloodwork, EKG, Echo, TEE, Stress Echo, then a catherization. The stress echo told them that i needed another aortic valve replacement and mitral repair. I had my surgery on 12-13-00. I am doing good now, but my mitral valve is still leaking, they havent told me if it is moderate or severe. I guess it is moderate. I seen Dr. Thamilarsan, and Dr Michael Banbury did the surgery. All the Dr's were great and the nurses were also. I would recommend the cleveland clinic to any one needing a 2nd opinion that is close to there or can travel there. I traveled back and forth from WV. If you need any more info please feel free to email me. You can visit there website at www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/
hope i have helped.
SandyK

Second opinion in 1999; resulted in AVR at CCF

Second opinion in 1999; resulted in AVR at CCF

My consulting cardiologist was Loretta Isada, the primary surgeon, Delos (Toby) Cosgrove, open and close surgeons were different and I got the impression they were on a learning curve but did a perfect job.

In May of 1999 I experienced what was later diagnosed as mild CHF (congestive heart failure) after being cleared in March 1999 for increased physical activity following my annual checkup.

I guess I overdid it.

My Pittsburgh cardiologist recommended immediate surgery after a heart cath proved I had a + 4 Aortic regurgitation leak and mild stenosis.

I decided to get a second from CCF since it was the number 1 heart center in the world and about 95 minutes from my home.

The interesting part is unlike the poster SandyK above, she canceled my tests and only reviewed the data on my tapes from the Pittsburgh hospital. After a thorough hands on exam she told me there was no real urgency, didnot agree with my Pgh cardiologist for immediate replacement, BUT would like to see me in 6 months. That was a relief as I had not done my homework and these types of forums were in their infancy (only 24 months ago!) I used the time to learn all I could and during a stress echo 6 months after her initial diagnosis, performed under her direction at CCF, the stenosis and regurg, and LV all were worsening. She gave the green light and the AVR was performed (knockwood) with some success on 4/11/00.

I am now 15 months post-op had my first CCF checkup with Dr. Isada and other than some major administrative foul ups and communications problems due to turnover there at the clinic, all is well. Any particular questions, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Cleveland Clinic

Cleveland Clinic

Crystal,

I had my second opinion and surgery at the CCF. They are excellent...#1 in world on valve surgery. I would certainly second that.

Dr. Tujus was my cardio there and Dr. Pettersen my surgeon. My surgery was in Jan. 2000. Dr. Pettersen is a homograph expert which was what I wanted. Good people all around.

Good luck and do not hesitate to post back if you have more questions.

I went to Cle for my second opinion in July 2000. Dr Griffin was the cardiologist for the second opinion and Cosgrove the surgeon (AVR homograft and mitral repair)(Jan 2001). I thought they both did a good job.

Back