Cleaning finger before pricking with lancet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MdaPA

For those who self-test and take their INR at home, do you just clean your finger with soapy, warm water and dry before pricking? My wife does this but she just encountered her 2nd infected finger in the past year from the pricked site. She does rotate using a different finger and new lancet each time.

After drawing and testing your blood, do you just use a cotton ball or Band-Aid to stop the bleeding followed by any antibiotic ointment?

Thanks.

Hi MdaPA, warm water and hand soap should do for a finger prick test. I usually press down using some paper towel, takes a couple of minutes. Use a band aid when I am in a hurry and need to keep moving. Quite certain a band aid with some iodine may help, although it really shouldn’t be necessary.

, do you just clean your finger with soapy, warm water and dry before pricking?

yes

My wife does this but she just encountered her 2nd infected finger in the past year from the pricked site

sorry to read that. I also as a matter of course wrap my finger with some paper tissue until the bleeding has stopped. This applies pressure for me (stopping the bleeding faster) and I now suspect also acts to keep my wound clean.

I wrap once around and then twist the paper to make it thicker and allows me to apply more pressure. I simply hold it with the adjacent finger.

How sterile is your finger stick tool? Undo the top and look at the insides and the (replaceable) lance.
Myself I use the same lance for many operations ... never had an infection yet.

Back