Class Action Lawsuit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Do any of our legal eagles have any advice about this?
A notice in the Washington Post 9/9/01 notes that a settlement against Dupont for $44,500,000 is proposed .There will be a hearing January 23, 2002 in Wilmington DE, U.S. Courthouse.

This action involves claims that Dupont has disseminated false and misleading information to consumers and others regarding the bioequivalence of Coumadin and generic warfarin and by providing consideration to entities involved in the distribution of pharmaceuticals to induce them to favor Coumadin over other warfarin products.

Any one who has purchased Coumadin during the period March 1,1997 through August 1, 2001 may share in the settlement if there is anything left after the lawyers have been paid.

To get a Proof of Claim Form click www. Coumadinsettlement.com/

I have always thought that the "data" in the battle over the equivalence of Coumadin and generic warfarin was more from the marketing department than from scientific evidence.
I used to give talks, and get paid for them, by DuPont but when I refused to be their stooge and say that there was a difference, I killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Coumadin vs. generic warfarin?

Coumadin vs. generic warfarin?

Al, I don't know anything about data comparing generic vs. coumadin but I vaguely remember some papers in the literature trying to settle this point. However there is anecdotal evidence from Scott Kaatz the anticoagulation guru from Henry Ford in Detroit and from my own cardiologist Tony Parente in Arlington that has been related to me personally. I do agree that anecdotal can be fuzzy. Have you reviewed the literature on this subject?

There is not much literature. However, in 1997 or 1998 (it was presented at the American Society of Health-system Pharmacists meeting in 1998) an HMO in Redmond, Washington switched 105 people to Barr's generic and kept 105 people who met the same criteria as those switched on Coumadin. At three months, there was no statistical difference in INR variability or adverse events. I heard the presentation and as I recall the HMO that did this was one of those responsible for everything, from Dr. visits to lab tests to prescription drugs for one fee. Therefore, it was in their interest that they do nothing that increased their costs.
While there is little money available to prove that generics are equivalent, I'm sure that DuPont had the money to try to prove that they were not equal. I think it is more telling that nothing was published showing inequality that it was that there are few studies showing equality.
I certainly had my arm twisted enough to try to get me to say that they were not equal. But DuPont could never come up with any hard data. Not even a 100 patient study that only lasted three months.

class action

class action

Marty,
It seems to me that I can recall many a time that we've compared our experiences using coumadin vs the generic and the coumadin always won - people had less inr swings and the potency of the coumadin drug was always the same. My pharmacist has told me that he sees more problems in people using the generic than the coumadin. So even though I would be eligible for the $$$ I guess I won't apply for it.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back