Cilantro high or low Vit K? Found sources saying both

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Just devoured three tacos with healthy heaps of cilantro on them, picked quite a bit off but still ate a good amount... then I looked it up and got differing information of whether cilantro is high or low in Vitamin K?... my last INR was 2.5 on Sunday. I should be fine right?... I was tempted to pop a low dose aspirin.

Hi

the amount of vitamin K in that would mean you'd need 5 coffee mugs packed down solid to make a measurable difference.
Cilantro (weight for weight) has about 43 times less Vitamin K than Spinach. Aspirin will make zero difference to your INR.

if you like it, don't pick it off and just enjoy it (or , pick it off, put it into an empty coffee cup and see how many cups you fill).

So yes, you should be right. Your INR may fluctuate naturally anyway so if it goes up or down a few points don't blame the Tacho

Thats what I kinda thought, still learning the ropes. Although I am confused on the aspirin. I thought it wouldn't affect INR, but a nurse (at the cardiologists office) told me aspirin absolutely affects your INR... so?

almost_hectic;n862969 said:
Thats what I kinda thought, still learning the ropes. Although I am confused on the aspirin. I thought it wouldn't affect INR, but a nurse (at the cardiologists office) told me aspirin absolutely affects your INR... so?

So (sadly) most nurses know 2 /10ths of bugger all but are big on making the general public believe they know more than they really do. Its a power /' politics thing. There is zero basis for this. Aspirin is an antiplatelet and I am confident does not effect INR ... INR is a measure of PROTHROMBIN TIME (normalised as a ratio).

http://www.strokeassociation.org/STR...p#.VszfYlt9600

Antiplatelets
Blood platelets are actually fragments of cells – meaning they don’t contain all the necessary cellular equipment. When a person gets a cut or scratch, platelets release thromboxane, a chemical that signals other platelets to “help out.” Without the release of thromboxane, the platelets won’t come (stick) together, no clot will form, and the cut will continue to bleed. If you have a wound, thromboxane is an indispensable self-sealing material; but if you’re a stroke survivor, thromboxane’s ability to round up “help” to form a blood clot becomes potentially life-threatening.
Antiplatelet agents, including aspirin, clopidogrel, dipyridamole and ticlopidine, work by inhibiting the production of thromboxane. Aspirin is highly recommended for preventing a first stroke, but it and other antiplatelets also have an important role in preventing recurrent strokes.

Anticoagulants
While antiplatelets keep clots from forming by inhibiting the production of thromboxane, anticoagulants target clotting factors, which are other agents that are crucial to the blood-clotting process. Clotting factors are proteins made in the liver. These proteins can’t be created in the liver without Vitamin K – a common vitamin found in cabbage, cauliflower, spinach and other leafy green vegetables. Anticoagulants, such as warfarin (Coumadin) and heparin, slow clot formation by competing with Vitamin K.

I encourage you to conduct some careful tests your end and see for yourself. Considered testing is a good thing as it promotes a rigorous approach to thinking. Question everything, but seek answers in reliable sources (not "better health herbal.snakeoil.com")

:)

almost_hectic;n862966 said:
Just devoured three tacos with healthy heaps of cilantro on them, picked quite a bit off but still ate a good amount... then I looked it up and got differing information of whether cilantro is high or low in Vitamin K?... my last INR was 2.5 on Sunday. I should be fine right?... I was tempted to pop a low dose aspirin.
I busted 2 myths yesterday. I went into the V.A. Hospital for my once monthly blood draw. A couple hours later one of the anticoagulation doc's gives me a call. She tells me my INR was 3.64 which is only 1 point higher than my range (2.5-3.5). She was one of the good ones, she tells me don't change my daily dose and they will see me in two weeks. Some of the doc's want to change your dose when it really isn't necessary.

This is the kicker that busted 2 myths that have been asked here numerous times. First off 2 days before testing I tried a new Mexican Restaurant and had taco's loaded with cilantro which I love. The second thing is last week I exercised harder than I have in quite a while, another myth busted. With the higher intensity exercise and loads of cilantro (both have been rumored to lower INR) my INR was a little higher which is really only the nature of the drug to fluctuate a little for no apparent reason. I don't freak out if my INR is a little higher or lower than my range. It will usually work itself out without any changes in dose. :)

W. Carter;n863590 said:
...... I don't freak out if my INR is a little higher or lower than my range. It will usually work itself out without any changes in dose. :)

Your post makes sense to me. I don't consider a dosing change on one INR reading unless it is well above or below my range, 2.5-3.5......and certainly not at +.14. If my next INR....or two, continues to be a little high, I'd adjust my weekly dose by about -10% to get back to mid-range.

dick0236;n863591 said:
Your post makes sense to me. I don't consider a dosing change on one INR reading unless it is well above or below my range, 2.5-3.5......and certainly not at +.14. If my next INR....or two, continues to be a little high, I'd adjust my weekly dose by about -10% to get back to mid-range.
I'm pretty sure why it is a little high. I bridged to have a colonoscopy with lovenox. I had a hard time getting my INR up to range so they had me take 2.5 mg. more than my usual dose 3 weeks in a row. It will go back down because I have been on the same dose 45 mg. weekly for a long time and it is usually 2.8-3.0 consistently.

Latest posts

Back