chicken pox

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
hiya everbody ,my grand daughter has just got chicken pox,i was planning on visiting her sunday,i have a tissue valve,does anybody know any reason why i cant visit? ....thanks:thumbup:

Well Neil,

If you have NOT had the chicken pox, I would DEFINITELY advice to hold off on your visit. Chicken pox can be very severe for adults. Sorry, hope she's better soon!

Take care

Yeah, Neil, I have to agree, if you don't know, you should stay away. I had chicken pox in my 20's and they were terrible. Kathy is right, they are much, much worse in adults than in children.

I'm really not certain Neil, but if it were me I wouldn't take a chance. Even if it didn't damage the valve itself, chicken pox is EXTREMELY SERIOUS in adults!

I had chicken pox as an adult -- was in my 30s, I think, and it was the sickest I have ever been in my life. It was a tougher few weeks than the first weeks after heart surgery, I swear. So I would avoid if you may not have had it.

I've never had the chicken pox and have been in contact with them many times. At the age of 4 my son was in contact with his cousin (unknown at that time he had the pox) while playing in a pool. My son did not get the chicken pox until he was 13 and I'm still chicken pox free.

There was a vaccine for the chicken pox a couple of years ago, best check with your doctor.

Ask your doc, there may be a blood test where they can check if you have the antibodies from having
contracted chicken pox previously and then you will know for sure.

There is a test available, an antibodies test, I think.
I had only measles as a kid -- no mumps or chicken pox. So I asked my family doctor to vaccinate me against chicken pox. He ran the antibodies test and I tested positive. So I need to consider having the pricey shingles vaccination.

In answer to Neil's question, I would avoid known exposure to any contagious disease. Childhood diseases are usually harder on adults than on kids, for some reason.

firstly thank you for all your replys, i have decided to cancel my visit,i think i was being pretty foolish in the first place to consider going,but you know what us daft old grandparents can be like ha ha..... anyway heres a happy new year to you all.............HAPPY NEW YEAR...............

Latest posts

Back