CHF

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, sounds on the bleak side.😥🙏🏻
I guess that with more information you can find out what type of CHF you have, if its artery bypass material you should be sorted out with bypass surgery and a better diet to reduce its recurrence.

I've always leaned towards the views of the Stoics, such as Epictetus. I have no convincing evidence about "eternal life" and so I have lived by the idea that I'll die.

Its only been 7 years since what I considered to be the end of my life, but I've done a lot in that 7 years.

Keep in mind also the words of the old Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius

and Seneca:

So wait till you know what is to be before becoming worried, for in reality this condition existed for some time (perhaps years) before it was diagnosed and you didn't die last week ...

Best Wishes.

My mother had/has CHF before and after her surgery. Her piggy mitral valve is on year 14 still working great. Her EF is in the normal range-but it has been a tightrope for her. She is on lasix, coreg, etc to help keep the chf in check. She also has a biventricular pacemaker that has done wonders for her heart.

My fracture pressure is only 23 it wasn’t checked in like the past 10 years? I thought they checked me every year? They are going to try meds for 3 months and if that doesn’t work,new pacemaker with third wire.

I had congestive heart failure a year and a half prior to my valve replacement. It was well controlled with Lasix and BP meds up until December 2017 when all the symptoms came back (swelling, shortness of breath, etc). Turns out the mitral valve regurgitation I was diagnosed with back in 2015 had progressed from mild to severe. Had a mitral valve replacement with mechanical valve in March 2018. All was great (daily exercise at the gym and cardiac rehab no problems) until April of this year (2019).

AGAIN, all the stupid congestive heart failure symptoms came back along with stubborn AFib (have had that off and on for several years) that just wouldn’t resolve no matter how many meds my cardiologist threw at it. Cardio version done back in 2015 was unsuccessful, so that was already off the table. On the 20th of this month I go in to be fitted for an Pacemaker/Defibrillator device. A month after that I will undergo a catheter ablation to “zap” the AV node. I’m hopeful that my congestive heart failure symptoms will resolve once these two procedures are complete, but I guess there are no guarantees in life. It seems endless.....

I had congestive heart failure a year and a half prior to my valve replacement. It was well controlled with Lasix and BP meds up until December 2017 when all the symptoms came back (swelling, shortness of breath, etc). Turns out the mitral valve regurgitation I was diagnosed with back in 2015 had progressed from mild to severe. Had a mitral valve replacement with mechanical valve in March 2018. All was great (daily exercise at the gym and cardiac rehab no problems) until April of this year (2019).

AGAIN, all the stupid congestive heart failure symptoms came back along with stubborn AFib (have had that off and on for several years) that just wouldn’t resolve no matter how many meds my cardiologist threw at it. Cardio version done back in 2015 was unsuccessful, so that was already off the table. On the 20th of this month I go in to be fitted for an Pacemaker/Defibrillator device. A month after that I will undergo a catheter ablation to “zap” the AV node. I’m hopeful that my congestive heart failure symptoms will resolve once these two procedures are complete, but I guess there are no guarantees in life. It seems endless.....
So sorry for your trials hope all goes well on the 20th. Did you try the new medicine they are advertising Entresto ?

So sorry for your trials hope all goes well on the 20th. Did you try the new medicine they are advertising Entresto ?
I’m in the hospital now. Had the ICD implanted this morning - a 3 hour surgery that turned into a 6 hour surgery. Apparently I have “unique” anatomy and they were unable to place the second lead, the one that will “resynchronize” my heart and get me out of CHF. So I only have the defibrillator now, and need another surgery to place the second lead via the right side of my chest through the ribs. Talk about being bummed out

Yes I’m on Entresto. Highest dose possible. The surgeon is going to redo some of my meds (I was still pretty woozy when he told me) so we shall see how it goes.

I had CHF before valve replacement. After three years, the CHF was completely gone by way of medication and drinking a lot of water. LOL! But taking good care of myself also.

Thanks for your response carolinemc, I hope you continue to have good health😁
I’m in the hospital now. Had the ICD implanted this morning - a 3 hour surgery that turned into a 6 hour surgery. Apparently I have “unique” anatomy and they were unable to place the second lead, the one that will “resynchronize” my heart and get me out of CHF. So I only have the defibrillator now, and need another surgery to place the second lead via the right side of my chest through the ribs. Talk about being bummed out

Yes I’m on Entresto. Highest dose possible. The surgeon is going to redo some of my meds (I was still pretty woozy when he told me) so we shall see how it goes.
i so hope all goes well and are healthy and at home soon.

Thanks for your response carolinemc, I hope you continue to have good health😁

i so hope all goes well and are healthy and at home soon.

Home and feeling better. Spent longer in the hospital than intended (four days as opposed to two days) due to a high heart rate issue. Had an amiodarone IV drip for 24 hours, an adenosine IV push twice and finally a cardio version that ultimately put my heart rate in the normal range (something I have not seen in many years).

My weird anatomy combined with scar tissue from my valve surgery made it impossible to place the second lead into my heart which was a bummer because that lead was supposed to help with the heart rate and CHF symptoms. I still have some CHF symptoms, but at least my heart rate is under control for now. How long it will last is anyone's guess.

Interestingly enough, I had a cardioversion done 4 years ago and it did nothing for my heart rate. Three zaps and nada. This time one zap did the job. I asked my cardiologist why it worked this time and he basically said "I don't know, but I've seen it happen before". Maybe the combination of drugs and mechanical interventions did it. I may never know.

Congested Heart Failure, anybody know anything about this.
I had it before while waiting for my Second double bypass, for the aortic valve replacement. It was due to the leak(heart murmur) had worsened over time. After surgery, it got better. it can happen anytime before or after surgery. Just keep asking your cardio about ways to keep it from happening again and stick with it. Good luck. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back