Checking In

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2legs

Hello All;
Well I just thought I would check in. I had my AVR surgery on the 7th. I am feeling pretty good. I thought it would be a lot worse then it has been. The first 3 days were miserable but now is pretty good. I started sleeping good for the first time Wednesday night or Thursday. The first few days they kept me really out of it. I was having all kinds of weird halucinations which seemed perfectly normal to me. I had some really good nurses and just sort of went along with the drift of things. When I was sick before when I lost my legs it was so bad that I was expecting this to be like that. Then when I fell 1 1/2 years ago and broke my hip and shoulder it wasn't pleasant either. I actually feel good now. I mean there is pain but I don't feel sick. I was really scared about this but I am doing ok. Thanks to all who gave me encouragement along the way.

Bravo! Glad to hear your surgery went smoothly and you are feeling better. Wonderful that you are now sleeping well and don't feel sick. The halucinations really were annoying for me post surgery and even kept me awake. They tapered off and then stopped when I quit the pain meds and switched to tylenol. Thanks for the update Pat!

THe drugs do play havoc with the mind ....as I came out of the fog I had my sister running all over the ICU stomping on my imaginary spiders .....she claims that was easier than arguing with me about their existence

Thanks for updating us.
So happy to hear it went easier for you than you expected.
Wishing you an easy, bump free recovery.
You've been through so much.

Best Wishes~!!!

Pat,

I had my surgery on the 9th. I could see the paint melting off the walls, that was when I asked the nurse to cut the pain pills back from two pills to one! Hope all continues to go smoothly!

Mike

I have hallucinations when I'm given morphine (and it makes me sick to my stomach). I had it after my C-section and it was horrible. I thought I was in a dungeon where I could hear my baby crying but couldn't find her because it was too dark. I wouldn't let them give me any morphine after my OHS. They tried every pain med under the sun for about 4 days...finally, I just switched to tylenol. It hurt, but I'll take pain over nausea any day of the week.

Back