Changed my Date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgilityDog

I just got off the phone with the surgeon's office. My date has been changed to August 11. Sigh. I may lose my furry mind between now and then.

Also, according to the nurse, I'm supposed to stop my warfarin 7 days prior, and bridge for 5, with no lovenox 24 hours pior to surgery. :confused: That seems way too long, on both counts, seeing as my existing valve is in the mitral position. I think it should be withhold about 3-4 days with bridging, and 12 hours w/out lovenox, so she's going to have him call me.
My biggest fear is a stroke. :frown2:

Laurie, if your mech valve is Mitral, you run a slightly higher risk of clot formation,
aortic valves have a higher force and pressure of blood going through them.
But I don't understand the 7 day prior stoppage either......it sounds like overkill.

I just got off the phone with the surgeon's office. My date has been changed to August 11. Sigh. I may lose my furry mind between now and then.

Also, according to the nurse, I'm supposed to stop my warfarin 7 days prior, and bridge for 5, with no lovenox 24 hours pior to surgery. :confused: That seems way too long, on both counts, seeing as my existing valve is in the mitral position. I think it should be withhold about 3-4 days with bridging, and 12 hours w/out lovenox, so she's going to have him call me.
My biggest fear is a stroke. :frown2:

How much do you take? Sorry I can't remember. If your one of the higher dose people, 5mg daily or above, I'd stop 4 days before surgery and start the Lovenox when your INR reaches 2.0 and continue the bridge until 16 hours before the surgery. If your a lower dose person, then yes, stop 5 to 7 days ahead and begin bridge when you hit 2.0.

I'm a lower dose person. I take 4mg daily right now, and that's the high end of my range. I was at 24mg for the week, but reducing my activity and eating crap the last 4 weeks has caused me to put on about 3 lbs, so I had to do a substantial increase. I almost expect to have to drop a mg or two this week. I still consider 28 mg/week a lower dose.
I like your compromise suggestion, Ross.
I'll suggest 5 days stop, bridge at 2.0, and stop lovenox 16 hours prior, instead of 24, and see what he says. That 24 hours no bridge bothers me more than the extra couple days of bridging, though the damn Lovenox shots are no fun. Of course, with the extra lard, there's plenty of room for shots to go in the flubber.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

I spoke to Dr. Ryan last night. He said that with my history (MVR, TIA, plus my dad died of massive stroke due to a-fib) he understands my concerns. He's fine with me taking the last lovenox 12 hours before surgery. Of course, I'm going to figure out a schedule to take the last shot closer to 16 hours prior, as Ross suggested, and split the Doctor's preferred 24 hours with my preference for as much anticoagulation coverage as is safe.
Yeah, and I'm getting some xanax, too. It's been a rough week, and there's still a lot of stress at the office because of filing deadlines.
You've heard of bridezilla? I'm probably a patientzilla.

Love the "patientzilla"..:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

I have to read up and see why you're having another surgery..:confused2:

You're certainly in good hands there in Dallas and I want to wish you all the best..!!

Janie,
My original MVP was really really bad (as in the valve was "flapping in the breeze" and my left atrium was 40% enlarged, and I was in and out of a-fib.) That horrid lead caused ancillary damage to my aortic valve. But I would not have survived doing both surgeries at the same time, plus the aortic valve leak was not significant enough to warrant surgery at that time.

We've been watching it, and it has deteriorated to the point it needs taken care of. We had hoped to get a few more years out of it, but....

Sorry to hear of the change of date. It certainly can play havoc with the nerves! Thinking of you, AgilityDog. Hopefully, the time will go fast for you.

Sorry to hear about your date change. YOu will have to wait out the next 3 1/2 weeks with me. The waiting is diffiuclt. I am trying to stay busy and not worry about surgery. Good Luck. I think the time will go by quickly - I hope. Pat

Back