Cement in my gum from latest root canal! Great!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eva

Miracle Believer
Supporting Member
Yes! Cement! I made my oral surgeon repeat it twice as I could not believe my ears.

Last Sunday evening, ten days after the tooth had the permanent filling and two days after finishing the antibiotics, I felt pain in my upper jaw above three teeth next to the tooth which my endodontist replaced an 20-year old root canal by a new one. She believed issues I had at the tip of the root would go away under the new technology of root canals!! Oh yes!😔😔

I went to see Endodontist on Monday. She recommended extracting the tooth that same day after referring me via phone to an oral surgeon she knowsI luckily, I made a good decision for once by not going to that oral surgeon right away! She believed there is a crack in the tooth.

So, instead, I went today to an oral surgeon who I saw 8 months ago. He took 3-D X-ray, compared it to the old one and there was no crack! What is that Stoney feeling then? I asked. There is cement protruding from the tip of the root. The stiffy swelling in my gum, according to him, is also cement that seeped through during the process of permanent filling!!

Dr. Jeworski, the oral surgeon, is sure that extracting the tooth is unnecessary! It is a good tooth. He advised me to wait and see. He also advised me to show the endodontist copies of the 3-d xray. I told him I don't trust her anymore. He encouraged me just to show X-rays copies to her and hear what she says without agreeing to any procedure she might recommend.

I'm SO UPSET.😔😔😔.. cement in my jaw. Well, any suggestions how to make good use of this cement?M😀
Any advice?!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
glad you got it sorted, I did feel that it must have been from something foreign left behind. Its the primary reason infections don't clear up.

pellicle;n852118 said:
... and implies to me the course was too short. Or they left something behind in there ...

I assume you know that by "cement" they are using a plain word for some fancy dental glue ... calling it cement ... its not concrete ;-)

glad you got it sorted

Eva;n852261 said:
Any experience/knowledge if it will go away!!

no direct experience in that area, but in my own area (chest) I have seen that removing anything that remains to allow the bacteria to "hide in" will prevent antibiotics from doing their job. Which is assisting the immune system to kill the bacteria by stopping bacterial reproduction while the immune system kills them.

Hidey-holes such as the rough surfaces in dental cement are classic spots (as are hunks of stuff left in after OHS).

I would expect that with a decent course of antibiotics over a something like a month duration it should be knocked on the head. If it regrows (or does not subside) chances are there is something still in there for it to hide in.

I'd agitate for a good antibiotic coverage if it was me.

Best Wishes

My mind is not functioning well, Pellicle. Please re explain, if you don't mind. Thanks.

I remembered this evening that endodontist made a hole in my gum (where this stony feeling is) at the time she did the final filling to drain the puss from the tip of the tooth. That hole was closed by the time I reached home. I'm wondering if that was how the cement/glue seeped through!

Hi Eva

sorry about my descriptions

I'm not a dentist, but what know about infection and surfaces and what I've experienced with dentists is that the surfaces they leave behind (even under gums) must be smooth and not harbor bacteria. Like when you get a filling done they polish it smooth.

I suspect that the 'pebble' you felt under your gum was caused by the glue (cement) not having set properly OR not having been confined during setting OR not having been smoothed properly after the surgery. This has created little microscopic caves for the bacteria to grow in and essentially protect themselves from the attacks of your immune system (essentially these guys).

The new work should fix that and leave things under the surface of the gums (gingiva) so that the blood flow in that tissue will supply the army of your body's bacteria killers (leukocytes) can clean up anything that got in during the surgery.

Anyway, you must be totally razzed after the treatment, so I hope you just relax and zone out for a while. I know I get really wound up when they dig around in my mouth.

Best Wishes

I do hope you get this sorted out soon Eva. As you know I'm going through root cnal problems too, now got temporomandibular joint dysfunction which confuses the picture like hell, and dentist won't do next stage of root canal until my jaw settles. Diazepam is working miracles with the muscle spasms in jaw (who would have believed that could cause pain all over side of face, along jaw, in several teeth and even loss of hearing ?) but when I cut down on the dose things return and I worry that it's tooth infection. Dentsit says tooth stable for moment but he still might have to extract it if the crack is bad or weakens the tooth too much. This is nerve wracking isn't it. I wouldn't mind so much but my teeth have been good for nearly 12 years so for things to go wrong when I've a new heart valve just adds extra stress to having to have extensive dental work.

Wsihing you the very best in your tooth saga….

Latest posts

Back