Celiac disease and warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lance

Has anyone here had experience with celiac disease while on warfarin?

Hi Lance and everyone else

Since I cannot figure out how to start a new post _ I thought I would add here and see if anyone has a reply - now that it is 4+yrs since Lance asked.

I am scheduled for AVR on March 23 and because I am only 52 I have opted for a mechanical even though I have celiac disease.
After discussion with many people (cardiologists, GP and hematologist) we all concluded that I would probably be able to manage the combination - and I just cannot commit to more surgery.

However, I would like to know if anyone else has experience managing warfarin levels with celiac gluten allergy ?

Thanks

Not personally, although I believe that Ross here had that disease too ... he never reported any issues on managing INR levels ... what was your question Lance?

Hi Pellicle -

I guess what I'm really curious about is - if I get glutened by accident (which does happen occasionnally by friends or restaurants) and my small intestine gets toasted - then how much can I expect this to impact my INR and warfarins? Also for how long would my INRs/warfarin be impacted?

I expect the answer varies but was hoping someone else had been through this.

I am a very compliant celiac (stay on a very strict gluten free diet) and I am very knowledgable of the issues warfarin - so I am hedging my bets that I will be able to manage this combination.

I also hope to eventually talk my GP into letting me do home INRs so I can monitor things better - especially when I think there might be a problem.

Thanks

Hi

soccer girl;n853733 said:
I guess what I'm really curious about is - if I get glutened by accident (which does happen occasionnally by friends or restaurants) and my small intestine gets toasted - then how much can I expect this to impact my INR and warfarins? Also for how long would my INRs/warfarin be impacted?

I'm a little confused here, what do you mean "intestine gets toasted" ... I assume it means you have some sort of flareup caused by gluten. I don't know what the nature of those flareups are and what happens (like do you have pain, are there cramps, do you have bleeding ...)

I would not expect it to have any impact on your INR based on what I know of the absorption of warfarin. You may need to lower your INR but that would be "directed" and in conjunction with a medical professional.

I am a very compliant celiac (stay on a very strict gluten free diet) and I am very knowledgable of the issues warfarin

I know a few things too ... but would hesitate to call myself very knowledgeable

If / when you start your own testing you may find my blog posts here (http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/search/label/INR) helpful

- so I am hedging my bets that I will be able to manage this combination.

my experience (restricted to me and the observations made by others of themselves) is that with weekly testing you can see what is happening to your INR and the dose / dose interactions with drugs. If you follow some of the methods in my blog posts you'll also avoid some of the typical yoyo or INR caused by over and under correcting dose.

:)

Latest posts

Back