Cedars Sinai and Mayo Clinic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixitworld

Hi All,

I have asked many questions in many forums but still not able to decide on my current 2 hospitals where i have visited - Stanford( Dr. Craig Miller) vs Cleveland Clinic (Dr Svensson) as both have different surgica opinion.

I am thinking to do a third opinion also. Since i live in SFO , I can go to Cedars - Sinai in Los Angeles or I can try again in east coast to Mayo In Rochester.

Interestingly only Clevelend Clinic seems to work on 600+ aortic surgeries , while whatever information i got , Mayo Clinic do some 270 surgeries including all 3 hsopitals combined. No reports or outcomes i am able to find for Cedars Sinai as of now.

Looking forward for members to help me recommend surgeons in Cedars Sinai and Mayo Rochestor both as well as any links or outcomes reports they have?

I'm in Australia, so I can't recommend a surgeon, however I've only heard good things about Mayo.

I think (given the arrogance of your other two) that a thrid opinion will be a good idea. You may have noted (Agian also is Australian) we don't think much of such arrogance in a surgeon (myself I think it means they're likely to blame you if they make any mistakes in surgery).

My own guy is quietly spoken but when he speaks those around him (staff and colleagues) listen. He's a polo player so no wilting daisy and does a lot of overseas work in training surgeons in Asia (so a very generous man).

I'd swing for that angle than "I don't take second questions" wankers

Agian;n883043 said:
You'll remember Paleowoman had an arrogant surgeon, who was meant to be one of the best.
That's right. Very arrogant and patronsing. She wouldn't answer questions and was rushed at the consultation. But I was so stunned that she thought I needed surgery very soon that I ddn't ask for a second opinion.The surgeon had very good stats in the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery database too. I also felt that the hospital where I was going to have surgery would be good - lots of recommendations and seemed good when I paid a visit to the cardiac ward - the aftercare is most important. Two other consultans I am under both said surgeons just have to be "good at cutting and sewing" so I went along with that. Wished I hadn't.

Because I now have pateint prosthesis mismatch I had a surgical referral last year - but not to the surgeon who had done my AVR ! I saw a cardiac surgeon who was kind of okay but then he made a big mistake in one of his reports, compounded by two more mistakes in subsequent reports. I treid to get the mistakes corrected but he wouldn't for some incomprehensible reason. The upshot of this was that after several months my GP and cardiologist referred me to another cardiac surgeon - they thought that the surgeon was being "arrogant" in not correcting the mistake in his reports - mistakes in medical reports can have negative consequences.

Third time lucky for me in cardiac surgeons ! The current one I'm under listens, explains, is empathetic and responsive - I really do need to put his name down in my signature !

You do need a surgeon who is more than just good technically at cutting and sewing, you need a surgeon who is also a good doctor - they ought to be both.

I'm in the UK btw.

Last edited:
Usually when people don't want to answer questions it's because they're worried they will be asked one they can't answer.
Sometimes it's easier to say 'I don't know, but I'll try to find out.' If your surgeon is evasive, it may be they're not as good as they want you to believe they are.

Confident people don't tend to be sneaky.

Last edited:
That surgeon who did my AVR knew the answers to the questions I asked but she couldn't be bothered to spend time answering them - she had 15 minutes for the consultation and she wasn't going to spend any more time on it, as far as she was concerned I was to leave everything to her and not think about it - she even said those words when I asked about how the sternum was secured bearing in mind I have osteoporosis. The surgeon I saw recently, on the other hand, spent at least an hour on the consultation and answered every question I had, he didn't talk down to me, and he explained fairly complex mathematical concepts to do with valve area. He told me that he felt that a surgeon should fully involve a patient in their care and surgery as much as possible. That's the kind of surgeon I go for !

Latest posts

Back