Cause of Rash?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
After about 9-12 months on warfarin I have developed a rash on my forehead that comes and goes :(. I have not been able to pin down what makes it flare up e.g. no direct correlation to spinach intake :p. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Doctor was not sure and gave me some cortisone ointment. On reflection, I switched from Lipitor to Crestor about 6 months ago - any chance it was that switch that truggered the rash :confused:!?
Thanks!
Cameron

I suppose it's possible, but not very likely. It should be interesting to hear the others responses.

Sometimes it isn't the drug itself, but the stuff that holds the pills together, the vehicle of the drug. Maybe you have some kind of allergy to the new med for that reason.

After about 9-12 months on warfarin I have developed a rash on my forehead that comes and goes :(. I have not been able to pin down what makes it flare up e.g. no direct correlation to spinach intake :p. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Doctor was not sure and gave me some cortisone ointment. On reflection, I switched from Lipitor to Crestor about 6 months ago - any chance it was that switch that truggered the rash :confused:!?
Thanks!
Cameron

Not sure why there might be any correlation to spinach intake. ???
Have you consulted a dermatologist, or are you relying on an internist or your PCP at this point?
My take on a warfarin-induced rash is that it would not be intermittent. The rash would be due to the dyes used in the colored tablets (all tablets except for the white 10mg ones). At least, that's what I've gleaned from reading posts about the subject.

Thanks everyone,
I will start a logbook to try and correlate the flare up of the rash with something in particular. Reference to spinach intake was a joke :D - just one of the many things that might be a contributing factor :confused: (dairy, sunshine :cool:, lack of sunshine, sunblock, nuts, greens - I am eating way more spinach and other greens than I ever did pre op and pre warfarin!).
Cameron
P.S. I use orange 1mg and green 4mg tablets

Rash

Rash

Interesting issue.

I've never had any problems with coumadin causing a rash, but I did experience a major issue with the blood pressure medication they put me on before my surgery. I brokeout with a rash from head to toe (both sides) within a few minutes of taking the first pill.

My cardiologist figured it was one of the binding materials that is used in that particular medication.

-Philip

I'm not on coumadin, but I am a rash expert. WHen I get the itchies on my face, it is usually it's related to an brief encounter with an ingredient in hair styling products or lotions (acrylates or lanolin) or nail salon materials. Be sure to track that, too, in your journal. A dermatologist can give you a patch test to find out what is triggering your rash, if you determine it is not the coumadin.

I sometimes get a rash in my scalp, it is seems to be caused by warfarin. The more I take the more skin eruptions I get. I have been given a cortisone ointment to clear it up, this works for a few days and then returns when I stop applying the ointment. The skin of the scalp does itch a little too. It is worse in hot weather altho' I fail to see the connection, only perspiration. My other medications have all been slowly decreased and my cholesterol level is 3.7. My INR is 2.4to 2.7.

Cameron,
From personal, very real experience, it very well can be the dyes in the warfarin/coumadin. All pills in all strengths, except the 10mg, have dye in them. I was told approximately 3% of the population on warfarin/coumadin experience an allergic reaction to the dye. I therefore, have to use only the 10mg pills. This makes it difficult when trying to maintain an accurate dose, fyi. If they are pinprick in nature, red, itchy...it is an allergic reaction, NOT a rash. Nothing will work on the reaction until the offending dye is removed from your medical regimen.

PS. The search function at the top of the forums on the right, is very helpful if you need to see if someone has experienced this issue in the past, or any issue for that matter.

Latest posts

Back