catheterization today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambriz

Husband is going in for the cath procedure today in a few hours. :smile2:

I'm really looking forward to knowing more about what's going on with his heart. :D

He just called (he's staying at his parents house overnight we live a bit far from the hospital) he is back home said it was painful and that they said his regurgitation is 20%-30% and that they might schedule this operation within a month.:eek:

I'm curious about what caused the catheterization process to be painful.

That is NOT a common complaint, especially if the Cardiologist performs a lot of catheterizations.

Was it the Insertion that was painful? Where was the insertion site?

If so, that makes me wonder if the Cardiologist did an adequate job of numbing the area before insertion.

I'm curious as well. He's going to drive home tomorrow and I'll be sure to get all the details and post them. He seemed tired and a bit nervous on the phone last night. (i think hearing that this op will be done in a month rather then the 6-9 months we thought we were looking at is overwhelming)

I found my angiogram/cath quite a nuisance -- except for the exam itself, which was kind of neat. I did enjoy watching my innards on the big screen. And the feeling of being scalded when they injected a LOT of die into my aorta was unbelievable!

But having two slowly-healing uncomfortable "corks" in my groin (one in my femoral artery, the other in the adjacent vein) for the next couple of weeks, not being able to bicycle, and having the worry that I might "pop" a cork. . . was more unpleasant than most of the aftermath of my OHS a few weeks later (at least so far)! Even lying there for a half-hour with a 10-pound sandbag on my groin was "up there" competing pretty well with the unpleasantness of the actual open-heart surgery.

Of course, I'm weird enough that if I had a choice between a dozen average-sized needles and OHS, I'd have to think about it before deciding. . .

He said it hurt a lot when they were pressing on his leg to keep it from bleeding and when the dye went in.

For a week or two after my angio, I was living with a low-level background fear of gushing blood through one of those big (and recently slit) blood vessels. I was glad I never had that fear after OHS. As soon as the bandage was peeled off my thoracotomy incision, it looked and felt very secure. It also wasn't in one of my body's major "hinge" areas, unlike the "corks" from my angio. . .

Just did my cath last Tuesday. Left and Right sides.

Two IV's. One in each arm. I think they were a bit larger than normal.
My Dr. prefers to put the cath in the arm near the wrist. They put me under moderate
sedation before inserting the cath and I do not remember any pain or much of the procedure.
On the way home by 4pm. Standard instructions regarding the wounds such as no arm movement or lifting.
The cath entry was a little tender but no bruising. The larger IV is still a bit sore and bruised.

Latest posts

Back