Catherizations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DL1017

I am having my routine heart cath tomorrow morning, and for the life of me, I can't remember how I was afterwards the last time around (11 1/2 years). I'm expecting them to have to go thru the groin area since they can only use my right arm, and I have "chemo veins" in that arm...in other words, they suck. So I don't think they'll use it. So if I get the groin area, will I need to lay down all day the next day? I know I should've asked the doc, but I was a bit overwhelmed at the time.
Thanks, Donna

I am having my routine heart cath tomorrow morning, and for the life of me, I can't remember how I was afterwards the last time around (11 1/2 years). I'm expecting them to have to go thru the groin area since they can only use my right arm, and I have "chemo veins" in that arm...in other words, they suck. So I don't think they'll use it. So if I get the groin area, will I need to lay down all day the next day? I know I should've asked the doc, but I was a bit overwhelmed at the time.
Thanks, Donna
No need to lie down the next day. Actually no need to stay down once they release you to go home.

When I had mine before my surgery, I was released after about 7 hours of staying still without moving.
Below is from Mayo Clinic website:
“After your catheter is removed, the technician or nurse who has removed your sheath will apply pressure to the insertion sites. If the groin is used, you'll need to lie flat for several hours after the procedure to avoid serious bleeding and to allow the artery to heal.”

You may read more details here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cardiac-catheterization/about/pac-20384695

Good luck.

I also had 5 of them, through the groin. After the 1st one in 2004, I had to lie perfectly still on my back in a general room for several hours with, as I recall, bandages supplying pressure on the wound. Was only allowed to move after about half a day. Was allowed home after that were satisfied the incision would not open.

The second one about 2 years later, same procedure lying still on my back, the pressure arrangement failed and massive bleeding ensued. Panic! Four nurses taking turns, in pairs, applying manual pressure on the incision. The synchronisation of placing and removing tired hands and bend-over bodies across and around my bed, not to release pressure on the incision, was quite something! This is a story I relate to friends around the barbeque in more vivid detail. Suffice it to say that I fully endorsed the emergency measure of sitting on top of the patient and apologizing later!. :)

With the other 3 caths, there was no need for all the above and I was released after possibly an hour of observation. I recall that the cardiologist told me that they now use some kind of dissolvable plug that they place in the artery incision. I am not sure about my facts here.

I also had 5 of them, through the groin. After the 1st one in 2004, I had to lie perfectly still on my back in a general room for several hours with, as I recall, bandages supplying pressure on the wound. Was only allowed to move after about half a day. Was allowed home after that were satisfied the incision would not open.

The second one about 2 years later, same procedure lying still on my back, the pressure arrangement failed and massive bleeding ensued. Panic! Four nurses taking turns, in pairs, applying manual pressure on the incision. The synchronisation of placing and removing tired hands and bend-over bodies across and around my bed, not to release pressure on the incision, was quite something! This is a story I relate to friends around the barbeque in more vivid detail. Suffice it to say that I fully endorsed the emergency measure of sitting on top of the patient and apologizing later!. :)

With the other 3 caths, there was no need for all the above and I was released after possibly an hour of observation. I recall that the cardiologist told me that they now use some kind of dissolvable plug that they place in the artery incision. I am not sure about my facts here.

Quite a story to pass along around the BBQ pit -- lol! I remember at my one and only cath 15 years ago, via the groin, two very young female nurses observing from down at the cath entry level, constantly swearing that they weren't looking at anything personal and that they "didn't see anything." Which made me think (but not say aloud) that they were passing along bad news to a manly man if they really didn't see anything. 🙃

I also remember having to sit or lie there for hours before being released to go home. I do hope they've improved on that with a dissolvable plug or whatever. Should have my preop cath in next week or so.

Quite a story to pass along around the BBQ pit -- lol! I remember at my one and only cath 15 years ago, via the groin, two very young female nurses observing from down at the cath entry level, constantly swearing that they weren't looking at anything personal and that they "didn't see anything." Which made me think (but not say aloud) that they were passing along bad news to a manly man if they really didn't see anything. 🙃

I also remember having to sit or lie there for hours before being released to go home. I do hope they've improved on that with a dissolvable plug or whatever. Should have my preop cath in next week or so.
I sure hope they can use your wrist...virtually pain free. They will have to prep your groin area just in case your arm artery goes in circles or something. Good luck.

So, I've been taking 25 mg chlorthalidone (water pill) for a couple months. The day of the cath (Tuesday), I didn't take one because we had an hours drive, and I figured I'd be laying on a table for a while. I have had this awful cough for a while and it's a lot worse. My ankles are swollen. I've gained 2-3 pounds. I went to my family doc (heart guy is an hour away)and he told me to increase it to 50 mg and on Monday, go get another blood test (yet again!) to check my potassium level and another one which I don't remember. What the heck? He said the cough is from the buildup of fluid...it is usually at night (going to bed) and in the morning on waking up. I took one pill this morning, and my husband brought the other one to me at work around 1:30. I do not feel like I am going to the bathroom anymore frequently. He said it works better when you take both at once. In the morning I'll do that. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm 2 weeks away from surgery and am trying to not have it postponed.

So, I've been taking 25 mg chlorthalidone (water pill) for a couple months. The day of the cath (Tuesday), I didn't take one because we had an hours drive, and I figured I'd be laying on a table for a while. I have had this awful cough for a while and it's a lot worse. My ankles are swollen. I've gained 2-3 pounds. I went to my family doc (heart guy is an hour away)and he told me to increase it to 50 mg and on Monday, go get another blood test (yet again!) to check my potassium level and another one which I don't remember. What the heck? He said the cough is from the buildup of fluid...it is usually at night (going to bed) and in the morning on waking up. I took one pill this morning, and my husband brought the other one to me at work around 1:30. I do not feel like I am going to the bathroom anymore frequently. He said it works better when you take both at once. In the morning I'll do that. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm 2 weeks away from surgery and am trying to not have it postponed.
After taking 2 of the water pill yesterday, I was so sick to my stomach. Felt terrible, couldn't get comfy in bed
Woke up at 3;30. Am just starting to feel a little better now and am gonna try for a nap. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm going nuts!
Donna

Donna, sorry for what you’re going through.
You may want to start a new post to attract better attention! Good luck.

Latest posts

Back