Cath call ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaton

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Call from the hospital. Catherisation booked for Thursday - 16th May.

Not sure if through groin or wrist.

Once completed, suspect a date for surgery will follow quite quickly.

Last edited:
In case you didn't know, you are not required to have anesthesia. Without anesthesia, you will feel about 1 sec of pain a couple of times when the catheter is inserted into groin, but that was it for me. It can shorten the time you have to stay in recovery before you are released. The most painful part for me was when they ripped the bandage off my stomach, so make sure they do a good job of shaving you.

The Houses of Parliament this morning as I walked over Westminster Bridge to St Thomas’ Hospital opposite. Was a beautiful sunny spring day.

Arrived on the ward early morning, just after nine.

I was allowed a light breakfast as long as it was eaten before 6 AM. But I never ate anything and drank only water (allowed).

The staff were fabulous. Friendly, supportive, calm.

Had weight, height, temperature, blood pressure and heart rate taken.

Then I changed into a hospital gown and special non-slip socks. Settled in a chair next to a bed in a four bed room. One patient already there. Another two arrived shortly after me.

The procedure was explained by a staff nurse and that I would later sign a consent form with the doctor.

Was told catherisation was to be through the radial artery in the wrist, but would revert to femoral artery in the leg if problems arose. Staff Nurse put a cannula in my left arm for meds.

I was about fourth on the procedure list. Eventually taken down to the Cath Theatre at 12.45.

Doctor explained procedure and risks again. Asked if I had any questions. Then I signed the consent form.

All the cath team friendly. Each step explained. I had electrodes attached. Lignocaine was applied and the cath device attached to my right wrist. Then a drug infused. Shortish, sharp spreading pain in lower arm as drug went in, but that soon stopped.

X-ray machine hovered here and there over my chest. The doctor then threaded the device. Began to get some pain in wrist and arm as he did this. Gave more ‘numbing’ drug (I think!). Then all fine.

At first could feel only slight discomfort in arm but nothing else. X-rays were taken and the machine hovered this way and that above me.

Then more threading and manoeuvring by the doctor. And an increasing ache and pain in my right arm. As if I could feel each movement of the threading but with ever increasing pain.

Doctor became aware of my discomfort. My pain threshold usually high but it became too much.

Cath doctor stopped as the cardiac physiologist attached a drip of Midazolam. Relief.

Procedure continued. Cath doctor called in another doctor, but before he arrived I fell suddenly asleep! Ha.

Next thing I was woken saying all done and arteries in good shape ... no problems. Which was good to know.

Moved to nearby recovery room and vitals monitored. Fell asleep again!

Then back to ward. And food! Hurray!

Vitals monitored. For an hour or so. Tight wrist band over wound slowly deflated in stages.

The man opposite had had the same procedure as myself shortly before and was soon to go home. He wanted to go to the toilet. Staff nurse told him he mustn’t lean on his cath wrist as he gets up as it was still vulnerable to bleeding until healed. But unfortunately he did lean on it as he rose. And Bingo. Blood everywhere as he opened up his arterial wound. It was quickly brought under control, but a good object lesson on how we must listen to the staff nurse!

I was released a little before 5PM. A friend came to assist me back home. We took an Uber through the crush of the rush hour traffic.

I’m still spaced out. And my arm aches. But glad it’s done and clear.

And just reading my copy of the Cardiac Cath Report I was given I see it says I have minor artheroma only. Staff nurse said most of us has a trace of artheroma and it’s nothing to worry about.

Noticed also on the report it says -

Diagnosis: Aortic regurgitation-non-rheumatic.

Perhaps that means I have some regurgitation, too. 🤔

My AVR moves closer 🧘🏼‍♂️

Hi Seaton - that's a relief for you to know your arteries are in good shape ! But what a palarver you had to go through to find out. I wonder why they didn't do a CT angiogram instead which is much less aggro. Sounds like they took very good care of you though, good to know for when you have your AVR !

Glad to hear you got through it ok, when I had mine done it had to go through the Femoral Artery as the local hospital I was in before Tommy's had bent a catheter in my wrist and the vein had collapsed, still I was awake like you in time for Dinner.

I wonder why they didn't do a CT angiogram instead which is much less aggro
Hi Anne (@Paleowoman)
I’ve read they get a more detailed view of things via cardiac cath than CT angio.

And this from the Cleveland Clinic:
Although coronary CTA examinations are growing in use, coronary angiograms remain the “gold standard” for detecting coronary artery stenosis, which is a significant narrowing of an artery that could require catheter-based intervention (such as placing a coronary artery stent) or surgery (such as placing coronary artery bypass grafts).
So appears a coronary angio is still the gold standard procedure. 🙂

Last edited:
I'm glad you got the gold standard procedure then Seaton :) :)

I've had three CT angiograms over the years with never a suggestion I should have a coronary angio, but I guess they may have thought it unlikely that I have coronary artery disease so not worth me having it ? CT angio is also cheaper ! I have complained about the radiation but they've told me that being slim I wouldn't have got so much.

I'm glad you got the gold standard procedure then Seaton :) :)

I've had three CT angiograms over the years with never a suggestion I should have a coronary angio, but I guess they may have thought it unlikely that I have coronary artery disease so not worth me having it ? CT angio is also cheaper ! I have complained about the radiation but they've told me that being slim I wouldn't have got so much.
It might have something to do with TAVR as well. A cath let's them see if the arteries will support TAVR.

Latest posts

Back