Cath 3 days before valve replacement- question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck C

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all.
My valve replacement is set for March 22. The surgeon prefers that my cardiologist, his favorite, does my cath. But, my cardiologist is booked until March 19, three days before my valve surgery date. Ideally, I'd rather get the cath done a week prior, so that I have full recovery from that cath before going into OHS. This would mean getting the cath done by a different cardiologist. The cath sounds pretty minor and perhaps getting in three days before OHS is not an issue. Just checking to see if others had their cath done this close to OHS and if anyone has any thoughts on if it matters getting the cath done so soon prior to OHS. The physician's assistant scheduling me did not think it would be an issue.
Thanks

If you are worried about the time between catheterization and surgery, ask the surgeon's or cardiologist's nurse.

Hi all.
My valve replacement is set for March 22. The surgeon prefers that my cardiologist, his favorite, does my cath. But, my cardiologist is booked until March 19, three days before my valve surgery date.

Chuck C, when looking at the proximity of your cath and surgery, how does that timing work with your local Covid 19 and hospital protocol?

Was told last week, that it will need a Covid 19 test, 48 hours before the angiogram.
i will also need a Covid 19 test 48 hours before surgery.

Does your hospital have any Covid 19 test protocols for the cardiac ward?
Are you eligible for a Covid vaccine?

Covid19 vaccine age is still 85+ here locally, vaccine program is progressing but slowly and will not hit my age group before surgery.

Chuck C, when looking at the proximity of your cath and surgery, how does that timing work with your local Covid 19 and hospital protocol?

Was told last week, that it will need a Covid 19 test, 48 hours before the angiogram.
i will also need a Covid 19 test 48 hours before surgery.

Does your hospital have any Covid 19 test protocols for the cardiac ward?
Are you eligible for a Covid vaccine?

Covid19 vaccine age is still 85+ here locally, vaccine program is progressing but slowly and will not hit my age group before surgery.
Good questions. They have not said anything about protocol for Covid testing. My wife had a minor procedure at a different hospital and they gave her one of those 15 minute instant tests on the day of the procedure. In CA, because I am under 65 I am not eligible for the vaccine. You would think that people going into OHS or any major surgery would be a high priority, but I guess no one thought of that. However, I'm not worried about it. They have a very strict visitor policy and all health care workers have been eligible and encouraged to be vaccinated for a couple months now. But, also, I had Covid back in June- very mild. As of 4 weeks ago I still had strong anti-bodies and I expect that I will still have a good amount come the day of surgery. I gave convalescent plasma specifically because I had the anti-bodies and they test you each time you donate to make sure that they can still use yours for those in critical care for Covid. All that being said, if the jab becomes available I will certainly take it. I think those with severe heart conditions become eligible March 15, so it will be possible, though it may not be a good idea to get it so close to surgery.

Hi all.
My valve replacement is set for March 22. The surgeon prefers that my cardiologist, his favorite, does my cath. But, my cardiologist is booked until March 19, three days before my valve surgery date. Ideally, I'd rather get the cath done a week prior, so that I have full recovery from that cath before going into OHS. This would mean getting the cath done by a different cardiologist. The cath sounds pretty minor and perhaps getting in three days before OHS is not an issue. Just checking to see if others had their cath done this close to OHS and if anyone has any thoughts on if it matters getting the cath done so soon prior to OHS. The physician's assistant scheduling me did not think it would be an issue.
Thanks

My cath was done 2 days before surgery, because I went to Cleveland Clinic and they have a great process, well oiled machine. They need to determine if you need bypass or not.

Yeah, they will lightly anesthetize you. I vaguely recall watching the monitor as they snakes the tube up my arm and then injected the dye. I was very out of it, but wish I was more alert as it was rather fascinating. They tend to go up via the wrist now and then you lay for 45 min while they have a high pressure thing on the wound then you have a tight bandage and you need to not put any statin on that write for a day.

The cath sounds pretty minor and perhaps getting in three days before OHS is not an issue.

that would be my take ... as I was reading your post I wondered what the issue you had was in terms of healing, its literally a nick on your thigh which is healed sufficiently to walk in a few hours, by 3 days it's probably fine for running.

but wish I was more alert as it was rather fascinating.

funny story, I was quite alert and interested in what was appearing on the monitors, the operator was doing my angiogram and when he got to my coronary artery remarked "wow, this artery is in great condition"

I naturally replied "thanks, that's good to hear"

he nearly shat himself >it speaks<

Yeah they told me mine was clean and I would not likely have clogged arteries for 30 years,and being 58 at that time and haven eaten so bad for so many years. Especially with my father having quad bypass in his late 60s.

that would be my take ... as I was reading your post I wondered what the issue you had was in terms of healing, its literally a nick on your thigh which is healed sufficiently to walk in a few hours, by 3 days it's probably fine for running.

funny story, I was quite alert and interested in what was appearing on the monitors, the operator was doing my angiogram and when he got to my coronary artery remarked "wow, this artery is in great condition"

I naturally replied "thanks, that's good to hear"

he nearly shat himself >it speaks<

I figured it was minor, but had read on a few of the health sites that the angio can take up to a week to heal. So, if that is healing of a wrist or leg incision, that is a non issue to me. But, if it was some sort of coronary irritation and inflammation that needs healing, that might be another story. It sounds like the healing is just pertaining to the incision, so I'm fine with that. As one poster said, whatever discomfort I'm feeling from it come OHS, will soon be a complete non-issue.

I think it's fair to say that the last thing the surgeon wants is anything that reduces his success, so I would feel comfortable that if it's fine by him it's fine by me.

As one poster said, whatever discomfort I'm feeling from it come OHS, will soon be a complete non-issue.
I think hit by a bus best described it

...each time

But each day gets incrementally better.

I think it's fair to say that the last thing the surgeon wants is anything that reduces his success, so I would feel comfortable that if it's fine by him it's fine by me.

I think hit by a bus best described it

...each time

But each day gets incrementally better.
" I think hit by a bus best described it "

Oh great. Can't wait- well, what can you do? Bring on the bus! 😀

I've been through some painful things, cracked ribs, kidney stone, fractured orbit with entrapped eye muscle 2 years ago, and I expect the pain will rank right up there, with a much longer recovery. But, I'm looking forward to that feeling of incremental improvement.

I had my cath on a Monday and surgery on Thursday. The only challenge I had was they tried the IV so many times, in so many places that I was pretty black and blue in my arm by the time of my surgery. I think my left leg hurt a bit after the cath but not much.

Yeah, they will lightly anesthetize you. I vaguely recall watching the monitor as they snakes the tube up my arm and then injected the dye. I was very out of it, but wish I was more alert as it was rather fascinating. They tend to go up via the wrist now and then you lay for 45 min while they have a high pressure thing on the wound then you have a tight bandage and you need to not put any statin on that write for a day.

Do you mind if I ask which wrist? I’m curious because I have a ton of scar tissue on my left wrist from an old injury/surgery so I’m hoping it’s the right one...

Yea mine was right wrist too but 4 weeks before my op, they had to literally yank on the sheath to remove it and damaged my radial artery which a week later caused blood clots to block the artery making my arm quite painful.

I had my cath on a Monday and surgery on Thursday. The only challenge I had was they tried the IV so many times, in so many places that I was pretty black and blue in my arm by the time of my surgery. I think my left leg hurt a bit after the cath but not much.

Yeah They often have issues finding veins with me as well. Recovering from OHS once they took out the one line tap where they could just take blood there was one time after 3 sticks to draw blood I sent them out of the room and told them to send a more experienced person. Same last year when I was in hospital for GI bleed, they would draw 2x a day and one time 3 sticks and chased them away and said don't come back until next draw time they used their tries for that time window. Really good phlebotomists ara a true skill under appreciated.

Reactions: Amy
So I had my cath today and they had a lot of trouble with the right wrist and had to go to the groin instead. After 6 hours of recovery my wrist blew up (hematoma) and had to painfully squeeze it down. No big deal in the grand scheme of things, but babying a wrist and a groin tonight. I’m hopeful there won’t be other ramifications with the wrist - clotting, IVs on surgery day?

Latest posts

Back