Carpenter Edwards Perimount Pericardial aortic valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAWwindy1

I am going to have a AVR done in the near future along with triple bypass surgery. I have already met with the surgeon and have completed the pre-op and am currently waiting for the call to set the date for my surgery. I have discussed the desire for a tissue valve vs a mechanical one with my surgeon and decided I wish to go forward with the tissue valve. My surgeon gave me the feeling that she was leaning more in favor of a mechanical valve rather than a tissue one although she indicated either was a good choice and suggested that if I was leaning towards a tissue valve that she recommended the Carpenter Edwards Perimount Pericardial tissue valve. I was in agreement with this choice as it was the one I was looking at too and had done what research I could on line and judged it was the best for me. I should state here that I am 64 years old and my heart itself is good . I knew I had a bad aortic valve since I was about 18 years old and have always had a heart murmur due to this . I have genetically high cholesterol and the valve and cholesterol progressively got worse over the years even with aggressive cholesterol therapy to the point where I am at today. During my research on valves I see that Carpenter Edwards indicate on their website that they have 7 different models of aortic valves. Does anybody out there know what the difference is between these models ? Are they like a car and one is better than the next ? Does anybody know what the Cadillac model would be ?

I don't know what the difference is, but I have the Carpenter Edwards Perimount and have done well with it for almost 9 years. I was 53 when it was implanted. I think the surgeon generally goes with the valve type and model they're comfortable working with rather than there being a hierarchy of good, better and best.

Windy, there is no Cadillac. The different version offer some benefits the surgeon can take advantage of to give his or her patient the best outcome. There is also no way to know which valve is going to be the best for any given patient. We rely upon our surgeons because we do not have the expertise. At present, the follow up studies indicate that the Perimont is one of the most reliable available. I try to read things when they become available since my own valve is one of these. The most important choice for us to make is not a particular valve but, rather, how we are going to live after surgery to give our heart the best chance to serve us for the rest of our lives - for the long haul.

Larry

I would think that the surgeon would be able to give you some ideas regarding how he/she will choose one model over others. As Larry said, there is no clear-cut "best" valve among the line. Different models have features that may make them more appropriate for certain cases, but I am not technically educated enough to tell you which is which. Since my surgeon is familiar with the entire CE product line, I left the specific choice up to him.

Going into surgery, I decided a tissue valve was the best for me. The surgeon did make a pitch for the mechanical valve too. I had no idea which tissue valve was better. The surgeon told me the one he uses and I went with it. All I can say is I am happy with the one I received. So far so good.

I am also leaning towards an Edwards Valve, probably the Magna.

I called Edwards tech support with the same question and they were beyond clueless.
They could answer no questions and kept referring me to a broken website.

Here is a pdf that compares their valves.

http://ht.edwards.com/scin/edwards/...ensions_brochure_production_brochure_pgnt.pdf

It looks like the St. Jude Trifecta is very similar but it is a newer product.

My University of Arizona surgeon recommended either the Magna or Trifecta and uses the Trifecta for patients who plan on strenuous exercise due to better gradients under stress.

Many of the companies publish longevity statistics for their valves. It would look something like X % freedom from structural failure after X years.

Example, the Hancock II shows 97% @ 20 years.

I like the one you have Steve , but I will leave the decision on model to the surgeon who recommended the Carpenter Edwards in the first place.

I would talk to your cardio. They are the one that will be managing you long term post surgery, 3 months post surgery if all goes smoothly you will be under the care of the cardio and the surgeon will be lucky to remember your name.

I just had AVR done March 27th I am 49 years old and had a bicuspid valve with severe stenosis. I chose the tissue valve and the Edwards valve was used. My surgeon said it was a cow valve and also said he thought it fit me better than the pig valve would have. I think the different models may be just that, different sizes from different animals. I would let the surgeon decide what is best. I chose a tissue valve because of the side effects of taking Coumadin all my life. Some people say the mechanical valve clicks and that would drive me crazy! I feel great and it's only been 3 weeks.

Well it's been almost 5 months now since I had the Carpentier-Edwards model 3300FTX installed along with a triple bypass. I was surprised at how quickly I bounced back and was ready to get my life back on track. Within a month I was eager to get back to the things I was doing prior to the surgery . My twin brother had the mechanical valve installed 3 years ago and seeing him constantly playing with the numbers for his blood readings and then the heart attack due to blood clot from not getting his readings right made it easy for me to decide on my valve . Now the trick will be to make it last a very long time.

great news that you are doing so well, hope your twin brother goes well to, i agree being on anti coags was one of the reasons i choose tissue

Latest posts

Back