Cardiac Rehab - Pros and Cons?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobNDenver

I had my procedure Sept 4, and was discharged Sept 9. I have been walking agressively ever since. I am constantly doing 5 miles a day and riding my stationary bike 20 minutes every morning. So I am pretty confident that I am pushing myself to recovery pretty effectively. Nonetheless, I thought that I would give Cardiac Rehab a try.

My first day at Cardiac Rehab last week was spent with the PT's giving me a written test about Cardiac Risk Factors. My cardiologist had not read the results of my treadmill so I couldn't start. . . $40 Copay out of my pocket.

Yesterday I started the program and the routine was to put on a telemetry device, get on a treadmill with increasing incline and speed while the PT took my BP and monitored my heart rate. After she established some baseline HR data, she told me to pick any exercise device I wanted and get started on it for ten minutes, then go to something else. I picked the elliptical and when I finished went to a recumbent bike for 20 minutes. By that time it was hand weights and exercise straps, which I wasn't allowed to do, because I have not been cleared by my surgeon for resistance training GRRRRR!! $40 Copay out of my pocket again.

I live next to an 80 acre park that I walk in every day. I am about a half a mile from the City Rec Center which has everything you can imagine, including an indoor track and pools for swimming laps. My Cardiologist says I can't ride my mountain bike for at least another month since I would be stressing my sternum. I really miss that, but am willing to wait if I have other fitness outlets.

What am I missing about Cardiac Rehab? I am going to go back for a couple more sessions to see if the light goes on, but with this copay, I would be paying close to $500 per month. I am thinking that I could just take charge of my own Rehab program and save a bundle. Am I a jaded putz for not embracing the concept?:confused:

My insurance paid for rehab for 12 weeks after OHS. After that it was up to me if I wanted to stay at cardio rehab or not. I decided to stay there because it was reasurring for me and the work out was great. You can do alot or alittle depending on what you want to do. I'm off insurance now, so the cardio rehab charges me 57.50 for 3 times a week fo the month which is worth it to me. You might want to check to see what the rehab charges might be cheaper then with insurance!
I know that I needed more then just walking. I needed to get my heart rate up and keep it there for awhile.
Good Luck on what you can find out and do.

When Tyce had his AVR almost 7 years ago, we inquired about rehab for him. His words were basically...."get out and walk." We opted not to have rehab, but walked every day and Tyce did absolutely fine. He was in good shape prior to surgery and had always been active, which he still is. I think alot of the pros and cons regarding rehab depend on what kind of shape a person is in prior to OHS. In our case it wasn't necessary.

Evelyn

I found cardiac rehab to be very helpful for me, psychologically as much as physically. (Was a good deterrent to depression.) We had a good group of nurses and patients, and had a lot of fun. Although some of the required handouts were pretty Mickey Mouse, it was helpful (to me) to work back gradually into an exercise program.

However, my insurance covered 36 sessions without any charge to me. (I had met my out-of-pocket for the year.) If I had had to pay $500 out of pocket a month for it, I might well have had a different opinion. It sounds like you already are well on the road to an exercise regimen, so I can understand your questioning how much bang you are getting for the buck. Certainly there are alternatives to cardiac rehab, especially for someone as self-motivated as you seem to be.

It sounds very clear to me that you have no need for Cardiac rehab. It's more for those that lack the drive to be physically fit enough to make an impact on their recoveries, this is not the case with you.

I asked my cardio why I was not sent to rehab, he said I did not need it, cardio tha is:rolleyes::D .... I was also told that it is much more common for by-pass folks ..... anyway no rehab for me and I don't feel shorted in the least.

My cardio told me after my first OHS that I would not get enough out of Rehab to make it worth it. His exact words were "It isn't for everyone. " He said he usually recommends it for most of his patients but he knows I eat a healthy diet, I exercise regularly, understand my heart 'conditions', and am motivated.

Since my recent second OHS, he has never mentioned Rehab to me nor I to him.
My insurance would cover it all and he certainly would give me a precription for it if I wanted but I honestly don't think I would get very much out of it.

My cardio didn't think I needed it either. From what I have read here, though, it sounds like a lot of members have learned a great deal of useful info about resting and maximum heart rates and other such stuff, things that are just foreign to me. I suppose programs could differ widely unless there is some basic protocol that is common with cardiac rehab programs. BTW - I think I've been to a Rec Center around there, maybe it was in Westminster; it was pretty nice.

Rob, I didn't do the cardiac rehab myself because with my insurance I would have had to pay $40 per visit also, and because I thought it would have been too basic (at least for me). However, I think it is great; particularly for folks that have had bypasses or whatever, or that have not been working out and want to "turn their life around". The staff at cardiac rehab can show how to use all the equipment, offer inspiration, and monitor to ensure that you don't go beyond your limits. Plus, if the person does get in distress they are right there to render aid, which could be critical. That being said, if you are working out on your own I would recommend you get a heart rate monitor if you do not already have one, and wear it when walking and during other workouts, particularly for the first several months after OHS (I wore mine almost continuously for a month or two after surgery, then switched to just when working out). That way you can monitor your heart rate from one workout to the next, and also ensure that you do not elevate your heart rate too high. There are also books that you can check out of the library, or read up online, to gain knowledge on fitness, heart rates, exercise, etc.

I recommend you take it very slow for several months following OHS. Don't push it. You've been through a lot of trauma, and it takes quite a while to heal.

Sounds like you are on the right track; keep it up and good luck whether you do the rehab or on your own.

Hey Rob:

My surgery was on 8/26 (about a week before yours) and I have been in cardiac rehab for about 3 weeks. Like you, I have a $40 copay per visit. Before my surgery, I was very active, and despite the cautious approach that they have taken with my rehabilitation, I have found the benefits to be worth the investment (perhaps as much for the social/psychologically benefits as the physical benefits - it's been great sharing stories with the other patients and getting the insight of the nurses and therapists).

Don't feel bad about not "embracing the concept" of cardiac rehab. The purpose, after all, is to get cardiac patients physically active, which you obviously have embraced. The heart rate monitor idea is a good one. Best of luck with your continued recovery.

Jason

Rehab

Rehab

I liked it because I had a lot of fear after my surgery. And they monitor you. It gave me a sence of piece, and I am glad I did. Went into afib one day because my meds had to be adjusted. They just rolled me down to the ER. That was a fun day! I liked it stayed as long as I could. Wish I could go back.But now I just walk, and ride a bike at the gym. But I always have to have someone with me, I just don't like to be alone to excersise, something I am working on. :)

I had been an active athlete prior to my AVR and my cardio told me that rehab would be a waste of time & money. Like most of the others here, I just got out and walked, going a little bit farther every day.
Good luck,
Mark

Latest posts

Back