Cardiac MRI report question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I got the report from the cardiac MRI I had the other week. I’m not seeing the cardiac surgeon until I have a second MRI to compare with this one next year, though I’ll be seeing my cardiologist and having another echocardiogram later this year. I can’t begin to understand all of the MRI report. It says “Low-normal LV volumes with hyperdynamic systolic function - ejection fraction 84%” - I understand that more or less. Then it says “Prosthetic aortic valve with no significant stenosis - planimetry area 0.8 cm2”. That’s the bit I don’t get - an area of 0.8 cm2 seems stenotic to me. I checked out planimetry of aortic valve area and it seems to equate with area calculated on echocardiogram (in the previous echos the valve area is 0.9 - 1 cm2). Anyone any ideas ?

Hi Mike - I had it done by MRI, not by transoesophageal echo as in the study you linked to - though I have it with TEE and then it wasn't measured by planimetry. I've actually found in a study with MRI that it says planimetry with MRI can slighty over estimate the aortic valve area: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16189431 But that wasn't what I'm wondering about, I'm wondering how the radiologist can say a valve area of 0.8 is "not significant stenosis".

Back