Cardiac catheterization

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask away roxaannneeee, I'm betting the majority of us here have had at least one. I've had 5 in my life...age 2, 11, 17, 43 and 50. Not that it's a contest or anything LOL!

I've had three CT angiograms.

Uh oh, I forgot about CT angiograms. Was a catheter involved? No catheter and not having to shave your groin may disqualify CT angiograms. :D

Edit to add: Mentioning not having to shave your groin took me back to the cardiac cath I had when I was 11...they made the incision and inserted the catheter througn my right arm right at the crease where the arm bends. I still have a prominent scar there that hasn't faded much at all nearly 48 years later. Out of the 5 I've had it's the only time they didn't go through the groin.

Last edited:
Uh oh, I forgot about CT angiograms. Was a catheter involved?
Umm...well.....this is what it says about CT angiogram from RadiologyInfo.org Computed Tomography (CT) Angiography (Angiogram):
  • CT angiography uses a CT scanner to produce detailed images of both blood vessels and tissues in various parts of the body. During the exam, contrast material is injected through a small catheter placed in a vein of the arm. A radiologic technologist will capture high-resolution CT images while the contrast material flows through the blood vessels.
So not in the groin and no shaving !

Umm...well.....this is what it says about CT angiogram from RadiologyInfo.org Computed Tomography (CT) Angiography (Angiogram):
  • CT angiography uses a CT scanner to produce detailed images of both blood vessels and tissues in various parts of the body. During the exam, contrast material is injected through a small catheter placed in a vein of the arm. A radiologic technologist will capture high-resolution CT images while the contrast material flows through the blood vessels.
So not in the groin and no shaving !

But it involves getting stuck with a catheter, so it sounds legit to me. :)

Hello guys :) sorry to be getting back to you guys days later! I guess my first question would be has anyone experienced a ticking/clicking noise after the procedure? If so, was it something that has continued on or only lasted for a brief amount of time? I've noticed that I only experience these when at rest, and they typically don't last that long. (also have only had these a few times) My concern with it is that I haven't had this before.

Mentioning not having to shave your groin took me back to the cardiac cath I had when I was 11...they made the incision and inserted the catheter througn my right arm right at the crease where the arm bends. I still have a prominent scar there that hasn't faded much at all nearly 48 years later. Out of the 5 I've had it's the only time they didn't go through the groin.

I have that same scar on the arm from when I was 4.

Only four total for me. 4, 12, 15, and 17 I think.

No recollection of any noises after, but it’s been 30 years.

I've had two - one about sixteen years ago. The cardiologist who did it said 'you will never have a heart attack' (I guess my coronary arteries looked ok. A few years ago, he did another angiogram - with the same result - 'you will never have a heart attack.' Just a week or two ago, he asked me about doing an angiogram. (Apparently he's hurting for money - or needs new rigging for his boat, or tires for his Jag, or something). I declined. I don't want to go through this with a similar verdict. And, FWIW, the last angiogram was done through a vein in the wrist. I don't recall whether or not they shaved my wrist before the procedure.

Protimenow, I am not sure what makes you so bitter but your unnecessary attacks on your doctor should be dispensed with. You should have had a discussion about the motivation for the arteriogram rather than impune your physician’s motives. Your little asides add nothing to the conversation.
When going through the wrist the radial artery is used. It is a nice technique since it is easy to apply pressure without having to lay flat for hours when going through the groin. Due to the size of the radial artery there may be some situations where the femoral is necessary, for example TAVR.

Vitdoc. I'm not at all bitter, and didn't intend to impugn this doctor. Actually, the last question about an arteriogram came from his nurse practitioner, and he seemed to support it.

I was just noting that his 'you'll never get a heart attack' about 12 years apart strongly suggested that my coronary arteries were clear both times, and, I supposed his 'never' indicated that he believed that they would not clog or calcify enough to CAUSE a heart attack. I was wondering if, according to his earlier evaluations that I would 'never' get a heart attaack, there was any need to repeat this procedure just a few years later.

I realize that you're a physician, and you may have taken my comments as bitterness -- but they're not. I'm still seeing this doctor -- if I was bitter, I would have changed to another cardiologist long ago. I was just searching for reasons for suggesting such an apparently unnecessary procedure. (FWIW - I will be getting a cardiac CT with and without contrast - a procedure that I've never had done before).

Vitdoc. I'm not at all bitter, and didn't intend to impugn this doctor. Actually, the last question about an arteriogram came from his nurse practitioner, and he seemed to support it.

I was just noting that his 'you'll never get a heart attack' about 12 years apart strongly suggested that my coronary arteries were clear both times, and, I supposed his 'never' indicated that he believed that they would not clog or calcify enough to CAUSE a heart attack. I was wondering if, according to his earlier evaluations that I would 'never' get a heart attaack, there was any need to repeat this procedure just a few years later.

I realize that you're a physician, and you may have taken my comments as bitterness -- but they're not. I'm still seeing this doctor -- if I was bitter, I would have changed to another cardiologist long ago. I was just searching for reasons for suggesting such an apparently unnecessary procedure. (FWIW - I will be getting a cardiac CT with and without contrast - a procedure that I've never had done before).

People do not get arteriograms just to determine the amount of plaque in their veins. It's not cheap and I believe it needs insurance approval. I agree with Vitdoc, you should ask why your medical team thinks you need the procedure before declining it.

I saw a nurse practitioner. She suggested the cardiac cath - I told her that I recently had one. When the cardiologist came into the room, without reviewing my chart, he suggested the cardiac cath. This seemed like something that they just do - rather than something emergent.

In BC, Canada, the wait time for a CT angio is 1 year. So obviously we will be going with a coronary angiogram via catheterization instead of CT (my guess is femoral entry), and probably within the next month whenever we get the call.

We will be asking our cardio as well as the interventional cardio these questions, but I'm curious about people's experience on this forum.

1). How soon can you fly home after this procedure?
2). When flying, do you do light compression stockings, or is this overkill?
3). I've seen the data, but what has your cardio told you about the efficacy/accuracy of catheterization as compared to CT, in terms of: coronary blockage, aortic stenosis, and aortic dilatation?
4). How soon can surgery be done after this procedure in an asymptomatic person? I'm guessing there may be some waiting time? (The wait for surgeons in BC is about 2 - 3 months, so this question may be a moot one, but I'm curious).

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back