Carbomedics valve, anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BionicWoman

Hi everyone!

I had MVR in June 2008. At the time of the surgery, things were rushed and I did not have the luxury of a lot of advance time to research options. I had expected a valve repair, but woke up with a new mechanical prosthesis instead. I did not realize then there were so many different valve choices. My surgeon spoke glowingly of the Carbomedics valve.

I've noticed that not too many people here seem to have the valve I have, a Carbomedics pyrolytic carbon valve. I would love to hear other people's stories on this.

I do, I do ! Unlike you, I was not rushed, but I was ignorant - I thought a valve was a valve was a valve. I did realise the difference between tissue and mechanical, and that was it. I ended up with a Carbomedics, but would have to look up the card to tell you just which one I actually got.

No problems with it, though, but it has only been 16 months.

There may be others along with more info soon.

Hi there,

I also have a Carbomedics, but it's an aortic valve. I've had it for almost ten years and it's given me no problem so far.

I too have a Carbomedics valve in the Mitral position.
My surgeon only told me; "if I can repair it I will, if not I'll replace it with a mechanical valve........there is also a tissue valve, but I don't think you'd want to go through this again. Because of your age and otherwise healthy I'll replace it with a mechanical valve."

Like you I didn't have time to think or look into other valves. Heck, I was in so much shock that in the back of my mind I seriously felt that I would get I phone call and being told I was misdiagnosed.

I only had 3 days between being told I was on the waiting list to the time of surgery.

Its been almost 22 months since my surgery and I have had no problems with the valve. And hearing the ticking......well that's a good thing - which is a lot quieter now, except in the shower :)

Hi everyone!

I had MVR in June 2008. At the time of the surgery, things were rushed and I did not have the luxury of a lot of advance time to research options. I had expected a valve repair, but woke up with a new mechanical prosthesis instead. I did not realize then there were so many different valve choices. My surgeon spoke glowingly of the Carbomedics valve.

I've noticed that not too many people here seem to have the valve I have, a Carbomedics pyrolytic carbon valve. I would love to hear other people's stories on this.

Don't worry you got a good valve. I got my St. Jude much the same way. Repair not advisable after they got a look at my valve. I'm happy I got a mechanical and not looking forward to repeat surgery. Warfarin ACT no big deal if you self test and maybe later self dose. We've had a number of people report to vr.com that they had failed repairs after a year or two. You won't have that to worry about.

Carbomedics here too. I had way too much time to think about it before surgery (that was harder than surgery for me). I had already made the decision to go mechanical but took my surgeons recommendation on valve choice and have no regrets. Still clicking after 2.5 years +
Philip

I have a carbomedics valve in my Aortic position. I'm really trying to get used to the noise it makes as it keeps me awake at night and everybody can hear it at work. I'm hoping it quiets down as time goes by. My surgery was in December 2008 so it's still pretty new.

I have a carbomedics valve in my Aortic position. I'm really trying to get used to the noise it makes as it keeps me awake at night and everybody can hear it at work. I'm hoping it quiets down as time goes by. My surgery was in December 2008 so it's still pretty new.

Do what others have done, get a sound machine or run a 20" box fan.

I have sleep apnea so I thought my machine would drown the noise out but feeling that thumping accompanied with the noise is still too much. I have anxiety issues all ready so it just adds to them.

I have a friend that calls his "Hammer Master" (his is a St.Jude and so is mine) because of how loud it is. It just depends on our body accoustics. I can hear mine sometimes while reading these threads and such, but for the most part, the noise no longer interrupts me.

Jer, things will settle down, believe me. I was a nervous wreck after my surgery and the thumping along with arrhythmias almost sent me over the deep end. Hang in there, okay? And don't feel shy to post any questions at any time....:)

Hi everyone!

BW hi yes i have a carbomedics aortic mech.valve since 1992 at age 31
Just had 2nd surgery for mitral valve on Jan 22 2009 for stjude mech.prior the
mitral was always my native.

They left the cabomedics mech in aortic from 16 years ago in and say
it will run another 50 years :eek: 16 years ago i was in denial and didnot have much choice in the carbomedics aortic valve.It has however done me well as you can see.

zipper2 (DEB)

I have sleep apnea so I thought my machine would drown the noise out but feeling that thumping accompanied with the noise is still too much. I have anxiety issues all ready so it just adds to them.

A Pounding Heart Beat after surgery is fairly common, especially if you had a stenotic Aortic Valve that was replaced.

With a Stenotic Aortic Valve, your heart muscles became conditioned to pumping against a smaller than normal opening. Now that you have a new (and larger) valve, your muscles are still trying to pump the way they always did which results in the Pounding Heart Beat.

For most patients, your Heart will 'recondition' to your new valve, but it takes time, often several months, before the pounding eventually subsides.

I hope this explanation will at least help to reduce your anxiety over the issue. Only time and patience will resolve the pounding. It is a very gradual process.

Many of our members report that it can take a year before they feel they have fully recovered and they have realized their full 'surgical benefit'.

'AL Capshaw'

Hang in there Jer, I had mine done in December too, and like you, sometimes it drives me nuts when I go to bed. The thumping is so pronounced it actually makes my head rock slightly with each beat !
Interesting to read Al Caps post though, especially as my heart was said to be in great shape bar the 0.5 AV. I seem to remember being told my heart was emptying out blood at the same volume per beat as a heart with a normal valve area so it's bound to take a while to settle i suppose.
I would say that I dont hear mine for about a third of the day now, which is a huge improvement.
It will get better, it'll either get quieter or your brain will get bored of hearing it and start processing other things instead.

Ps. Sorry Bionic woman, I'm an On-x valver, but my surgeon is a huge fan of Carbomedics.

Justin

I have a carbomedics mitral valve.. it drove me crazy at bedtime for the first couple of months. I never believed I would get used to it or that it would quiet down, but both happened. I can still hear it daily but not as often, or I think I just don't notice all that much. On my first visit to my internist after my surgery, she remarked how quiet it was, because she said the older valves she could have heard on her way down the hall to the examination room. So I was always thankful mine wasn't that loud. It is hard to believe you will get used to something like that, but it really does become a part of you and just another sound in your daily life.

Hi Bionic Woman,I Have a Carbomedics Model A500 mechanical aortic valve.I had a bicuspid aortic valve and a large anuerism on my ascending aorta.The surgeon told me before surgery that the ascending aorta would be repaired with a dacron graft and a mechanical valve would replace my bicuspid aortic valve.He told me the valve would be either be a St Judes or a Carbomedics and he would install the one that best fitted my situation and measurement needs.He told me that both valves were equally excellent .My surgery was done Feb 16/06 and the valve works great!At first my heartbeats seemed very intense but after about 4-6 months,it seemed to really settle down.I only notice the clicking when I,m on my left side in bed now,as the sound seems to echo off the mattress.I've asked my wife if the clicking bothers her and she says no, it reassures her and she is sound asleep snoring in no time.I put my foam earplugs in so I don't hear the snoring or the clicking.I,m happy to be alive and I believe that you and I have excellent mechanical valves and a new lease on life,it just takes a while to get used to it.
Best Wishes,Garth:)

My husband also has a Carbomedics valve. At the time of surgery, he had a severely enlarged heart with severe aortic regurgitation. At the echo one year later, the valve did its job, his heart had remodeled to a normal size and good heart function.

Valve noise seemed more bothersome to my husband in the first year after surgery.

Going on 5 years with Carbomedics Carboseal. Ascending aortic and valve. It was just the choice they used at VA Hospital. No problems i'm happy with it.

Attachments

• ed6021fd251c7d387b7a92ff12b260fc.jpg
    ed6021fd251c7d387b7a92ff12b260fc.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 395
I had an MVR in 2002 - the valve was too badly damaged by endocarditis to repair, so I have a Carbomedics. No problems that I'm aware of. Yes, it clicks a bit, but I don't think that's abnormal.

Latest posts

Back