Caratid ultra-sound

• Thread starter Der Biermeister
  • Start date
Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Der Biermeister

Is this a normal preliminary test before an AVR? Just wondering as they have me scheduled for one this Friday.

They also had me scheduled for an Echo-cardiogram, but I asked why since I just had one two weeks ago when in the hospital. They then checked and sure enough, not needed.

I had a carotid ultrasound. I think they want to check as much of the vascular system as they can prior to surgery. They sure don't want you stroking out on the table. (it'd screw up their stats) :D :D :eek:

They did my carotid arteries with an MRA. Something about them being hard to read with an echo. Perhaps there's different echo equipment for use on the carotids.

Wish they'd let me borrow it. Probably make a heck of a fish finder.

Best wishes,

Yes, Dick had one ordered by the cardiologist prior to surgery.

It's normal

It's normal

to have this test done prior to heart surgery. I was fortunate in that I was scheduled for an MRI anyway so they just included this in the same test.

Jerry

I still am a bit confused. When they did the echo-cardiogram two weeks ago, the technician also decided to do the caratid arteries and spent at least 5 mins probing around there.

But that part of the test must not have made it to the written report (I bought a copy and there was nothing on it). So, after looking at the reports yesterday, they decided I still needed the caratid ultrasound.

Der Biermeister said:
I still am a bit confused. When they did the echo-cardiogram two weeks ago, the technician also decided to do the caratid arteries and spent at least 5 mins probing around there.

But that part of the test must not have made it to the written report (I bought a copy and there was nothing on it). So, after looking at the reports yesterday, they decided I still needed the caratid ultrasound.

If you're concerned, call and ask them. Maybe they want an official report (I just looked at mine), rather than an impromptu one run by the tech.

Hello

My husband had two done. First showed a slight abnormality. Everything was AOK though.

Mb

Just finished the caratid ultra-sound. The tech said everything looked good on both sides. I take him at his word because he didn't dwell very long anywhere. The whole test was over in about 10 mins.

Wonderful! One less thing to think about! Congratulations!

Have a wonderful, restful weekend.

Marguerite

Yeah, as if I didn't have enough things to think about already. YOU TOO of course Marguerite.

I plan on a full weekend. Got to get taxes paid, some yard work done, and taking a long spin to the mountains on my motorcycle this Sunday. Then I have to "winterize it" to get it ready for a few months hybernation.

Ah, wishing you wonderful weather for your ride! Many many moons ago I had a boyfriend with a Triumph 650 (is that right?). At that tender age, I wasn't allowed to ride with him, but of course, that didn't stop me! It was exhilarating! Hopped on the back of a Sportster once, too. What a difference....that low rumble. Ah, the good old days!!

Enjoy!

Marguerite

Back