Can You Get a Tattoo While on Blood Thinners?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi,

I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical heart valve in 2010. I'm on blood thinners (Warfarin). I've asked my doctor about getting a tattoo and they tell me they do not recommend it. When I spoke to a tattoo artist he said you definitely can it will just require him to go over it more times because it will probably bleed more. Is there anything I should be aware when getting a tattoo? can it infect my heart valve in any way, etc and how safe/dangerous is this? Thanks!

Hello 'Guest'. When I asked my cardiologist his exact words were "There are no real guidelines in this but to be safe I recommend a dose of antibiotics before and after. I have had patients get tattoos before on blood thinners however". My tattoo artist basically said what you said above - shorter sessions, more bleeding so may need to 'go over' more times. I'll get another one, one day and see how it goes. At the moment the extra effort in going to the dr., getting antibiotics etc is just too much hassle.

Oh, and regarding infection - If you are going to a reputable artist who practices good hygiene, sterilises their equipment etc. and you also follow correct aftercare procedures then I wouldn't see an issue.

Of course they would say 'I wouldn't recommend it'. If they said 'go for it' and something happened, some people would turn around and blame the doctor. It's just the world we live in: 'You told me it was ok and I went to Thailand and got some spiritual **** on my back with a piece of bamboo. Now I've got endo and hep c and I'm going to sue you... boo hoo.'

Latest posts

Back