Can I use a Coaguchek test strip with a different code chip?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slipkid;n883196 said:
Well I'd rather not....
(1) ...waste my time if it is not kosher
(2) ...risk getting a wrong result if it is not kosher
(3) ...waste a strip if it is not kosher
(4) ...prick my fingers for nothing (if it is not kosher)

My thoughts as I read this were:
  1. you probably wasted more time writing this than a test
  2. I agree
  3. related and I agree
  4. you're going to do plenty more finger pricks over the years, so what's one more?
Anyway I'm glad you called Roche because that's actually the best thing to do.

Would you have done that if a bunch of idiots had said "its all good"??

The Royal Society has existed for over 350 years and is dedicated to science and scientific learning

They have the following motto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba

It is an expression of the determination of Fellows to withstand the domination of authority and to verify all statements by an appeal to facts determined by experiment

The reason that they put the code chip with the set of strips is to make sure that the correct reagent value is applied to the set of strips. INR is a ratio between the prothrombin time (the time that it takes a clot to form), and a value for the reagent. If you use a value from a set of strips with a different reagent value, your results will probably be incorrect.

In other words, unless you know how long it will take a clot to form USING THE REAGENT ON THE STRIP, you will probably get an incorrect answer.

I use the Coag-Sense meter. No code chip is required because each strip has a bar code that indicates the reagent value, printed on the strip.

Even if you COULD fool your XS with a bogus chip number that'll let you use your strips, it may not be worth it -- you will probably get a slightly wrong to very wrong INR number. This may not be worth the risk.

(As far as the expired strip issue goes, you can probably roll back the date on your meter so that the strips haven't 'expired..' Although the strips may still be good, even after they expire, you're still taking a risk by using expired strips in a 'fooled' meter.)

Latest posts

Back