Can I travel?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

swatig

Hi Everyone,

I had a question on my mind and I wanted your opinion. I have to travel to NewYork to enroll myself in a design school for the fall, I have to be there for a week from 17th April to 25th April. Since I have been diagonosed with severe aortic stenosis and would be needing a surgery in a month, is it ok to travel? My Doc said I can but will have to be careful. I dont know what to do.
Pls help.

Thanks
swati

I would not travel alone and would make sure I knew where the closest heart center is to where you will be staying.

Your doctor should know best but you should take it extremely easy, use elevators, vehicles and avoid anything taxing.

I had to travel to travel 2 weeks before my last OHS and it was tough. Just the stress of worrying was difficult.

Any chance this could be done remotely if you share your situation with the school?

Hello Swatig,

After I was diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis, my cardiologist and surgeon both strongly advised against air travel. It was a kind of cost-benefit analysis. On the one hand, they noted that the probability of something bad happening (triggered by a sudden loss of cabin pressure, for example) was very small. On the other hand, they also noted that the possible consequences of such an unlikely event were potentially quite serious.

In short, they (and my family) wanted me to stay close to home and close to the hospital during the weeks leading up to my surgery, and I followed their suggestion. Given that your condition has been called "severe," and your surgery is coming up soon, my advice (for what it's worth) would be to stay put. Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Richard

Have you asked both your surgeon and cardio? Are they in agreement?

I would be hesitant to travel were I you but your doctors know best what is specificially safe for you.

Is it mandatory you visit the school in order for you to enrol for the fall term? If so, with explanation, would they permit you to make the visit following your surgery when you start to get back on your feet?

Good luck.

Back