Can exercise wear out my homograft?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zee112

I recently had surgery last year which replaced my aortic root and aortic valve with a mechanical composite valve/root and I also had my original pulmonary homograft/conduit replaced with another one.

Can exercise wear out tissue valves quicker?

Thanks!

Hi

Not that I know of. The usual cause of valve vailure is calcification, which is caused by other metabolic stuff (like immune system ...)

Strain possibly, but I got 20years out of my homograft and it was fitted at about 28 years old.

You may be interested in the results of these studies
​​​​done some years back by the hospital that did mine:

The homograft aortic valve: a 29-year, 99.3% follow up of 1,022 valve replacements.
Freedom from reoperation for structural deterioration was very patient age-dependent.
For all cryopreserved valves, at 15 years, the freedom was
  • 47% (0-20-year-old patients at operation),
  • 85% (21-40 years),
  • 81% (41-60 years) and
  • 94% (>60 years). Root replacement versus subcoronary implantation reduced the technical causes for reoperation and re-replacement .
also:
Allograft aortic valve replacement: long-term follow-up.
Aortic valve replacement using an allograft aortic valve has been performed on 804 patients.
From December 1969 to May 1975, 124 patients received a nonviable allograft valve sterilized by incubation with low-dose antibiotics and stored for weeks by refrigeration at 4 degrees C (series 1).
From June 1975 to January 1994, 680 patients received viable allograft valves, now cryopreserved early within 2 hours of collection from transplant recipient donors, 6 hours for multiorgan donor valves and 23 hours (mean) for autopsy valves from donor death (series 2).

The probability of a thromboembolic event was low, freedom at 15 years being 95% +/- 1% for patients receiving allografts with or without associated coronary bypass procedures and 81% +/- 5% for patients having allografts with other associated procedures (eg, mitral valve operations). Actuarial freedom from endocarditis was similar for the two series, 91% +/- 3% (series I) and 94% +/- 2% (series II) at 15 years.
The freedom from valve incompetence, from reoperation for all causes, and from structural deterioration demonstrated clearly the inferiority of the 4 degrees C stored allograft valves.
For structural deterioration as identified clinically, at reoperation and at death, freedom from this event at 15 years was
  • 45% +/- 6% for series I and
  • 80% +/- 5% for series II (p value for the difference is 0).

Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back