Can a Dream Feel So Real.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njean

Premium Level
Supporting Member
I told this story to my Facebook friends just yesterday and I want to share it with you as well....

Yesterday morning I woke up crying, tears streaming down my face, heart pounding, racing and wondering what this "vision" in my dream could have meant. In my dream I was hugging my mom so tightly I could actually feel her body against mine and the wetness of her tears on my face as we embraced. I remember telling her over and over, how much I loved her. (My mom died in 2004 and she has visited me several times in my dreams throughout the years but her presence had never been so strong and/or so vivid as it was this time.)

So today as I was washing the evening dishes, it came to me.....tomorrow, December 11, marks the date I underwent OHS for the 2nd time....37 years, 1975 and my dear mother and my sister accompanied me on that journey.

Here is what I posted in FB:

Thirty-seven years ago, I was being flown to Houston on emergency status, for what would be my 2nd Open-Heart Surgery. I was in the final stages of CHF (Congestive Heart Failure); had gained over 35 lbs. of access water build-up; had been in bed for 3 months, unable to eat or drink much of anything. I had to be in a sitting position at all times, even in bed, because lying down felt like I was drowning and I could not breathe.

While in flight, the flight attendants would come by and ask my mom and/or my sister, if I was going to make it. My mom and sister just held back tears and shrugged their shoulders.

After arriving at St. Luke's in Houston, I was whisked away immediately for emergency surgery. I remember seeing all the knives, clamps, trays, tubes, etc., on the tables surrounding my gurney. The doctors and nurses were all in their gowns and ready for the drama. IV's were being put in place, the front of my chest was being swabbed and readied. My surgeon came in, bent down and said, "I'm going to do the best I can sweetheart" and then the blessed blackness overtook me.

The next time I remember, I could hear a faint, warm and familiar voice telling me, "you made it darling". It was the voice of my momma. Now I know "why" she visited me night before last.....yes mom, I'm still okay.

My dream makes perfect sense now! :)

Last edited:
I am speechless. I stopped by my parents' house last night (they live pretty close), but this warrants me stopping by again and hugging them. Thanks for sharing.

I am speechless. I stopped by my parents' house last night (they live pretty close), but this warrants me stopping by again and hugging them. Thanks for sharing.

Yes if you're still lucky enough to have your parents, do make it a point to hug them tightly and to tell them how much they mean to you! Life's too short not to.

Was it simply a dream or was it your Mom reaching out to you from beyond this life? Here's a story that may make you wonder. I work in an small office that opens to an atrium in a hospital medical mall. I can hear music and conversations floating up through the atrium and into my open office door. On the ground floor of the atrium is a piano that sometimes plays recorded music and sometimes is played by an actual pianist. One day, a pianist was playing a variety of songs when one song in particular made me stop what I was doing. It was Lara's Theme from the movie Dr. Zhivago. It really caught my attention because that movie was one of my dad's all-time favorites. It was the first time in years that I had heard that song. It was also several years after my Dad passed away. It was my birthday.

Was it simply a dream or was it your Mom reaching out to you from beyond this life? Here's a story that may make you wonder. I work in an small office that opens to an atrium in a hospital medical mall. I can hear music and conversations floating up through the atrium and into my open office door. On the ground floor of the atrium is a piano that sometimes plays recorded music and sometimes is played by an actual pianist. One day, a pianist was playing a variety of songs when one song in particular made me stop what I was doing. It was Lara's Theme from the movie Dr. Zhivago. It really caught my attention because that movie was one of my dad's all-time favorites. It was the first time in years that I had heard that song. It was also several years after my Dad passed away. It was my birthday.

I do believe your daddy's spirit was visiting you on your birthday and what better way for him to make his presence known to you, than through one of his favorite songs!
I've always been a strong believer of such phenomenon....never feared it....and always embraced it.

My mom left me on Dec. 9, 2003. Everytime I am going through a tough time, a white butterfly will be by my front door and almost come touch my face. I know it's my mom and I just greet her and tell her how happy I am that she stopped by. I too embrace these moments and do not care if there is a scientific explanation or not.

The signs of God's presence and the promise of a life beyond this one are all around us if we're paying attention.

When it was time for my second valve operation, I wanted to go back to the same surgeon but had to wait for an opening. In the weeks leading up to my surgery, my symptoms of angina and shortness of breath were worsening. One day, as I was sitting at my desk worrying, I heard a calm, quiet voice inside me say "trust God". From that moment on, whenever I started to feel worried, I would hear that voice and I would feel better.

Several weeks ago, I was visiting patients in the CCU at the hospital where I work. Now that I've been through OHS two times, I volunteer a few times a week as a heart advocate. It's a great way to share what I've learned and allow patients a chance to ask questions of someone who's experienced what they're going through. When I walked into one patient's room, I offered the usual greeting and explained who I was. He was waiting for OHS surgery the next day and really wasn't in a very good mood. When I asked if he had any questions of a fellow patient he sounded kind of gruff and said "not really". I said a few more words and prepared to leave when he suddenly asked me a question about my recovery experience. I answered his question and we began to have a real conversation. He was becoming more comfortable talking about what he was feeling. At one point, I shared the story above about the voice I had heard saying "trust God". I suggested to him that if he started to worry, he should listen for that same voice. It was then that I noticed his wife was nodding in agreement. She smiled at me and said "he heard the voice yesterday".

The signs of God's presence and the promise of a life beyond this one are all around us if we're paying attention.

When it was time for my second valve operation, I wanted to go back to the same surgeon but had to wait for an opening. In the weeks leading up to my surgery, my symptoms of angina and shortness of breath were worsening. One day, as I was sitting at my desk worrying, I heard a calm, quiet voice inside me say "trust God". From that moment on, whenever I started to feel worried, I would hear that voice and I would feel better.

Several weeks ago, I was visiting patients in the CCU at the hospital where I work. Now that I've been through OHS two times, I volunteer a few times a week as a heart advocate. It's a great way to share what I've learned and allow patients a chance to ask questions of someone who's experienced what they're going through. When I walked into one patient's room, I offered the usual greeting and explained who I was. He was waiting for OHS surgery the next day and really wasn't in a very good mood. When I asked if he had any questions of a fellow patient he sounded kind of gruff and said "not really". I said a few more words and prepared to leave when he suddenly asked me a question about my recovery experience. I answered his question and we began to have a real conversation. He was becoming more comfortable talking about what he was feeling. At one point, I shared the story above about the voice I had heard saying "trust God". I suggested to him that if he started to worry, he should listen for that same voice. It was then that I noticed his wife was nodding in agreement. She smiled at me and said "he heard the voice yesterday".

My thoughts exactly! Doctors and modern medicine can work wonders, but in my humble opinion, the ultimate decision lies in the hands of God!

Latest posts

Back