Calcium Supplement Use and Increased Risk of Heart Attack

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One slight issue I have is that only some but not all confounding variables have been studied. This population studied may have had an increased risk of atherosclerosis. We still do not know all the risk factors for atheromatous diseases. The study is a good one but an early one. They have rightly qualified the study including those who just took plain calcium supplements without Vitamin D added. People with Osteoporosis should continue the Calcium plus Vitamin D as before and continue the treatment for other risk factors. (cholesterol lowering and bp lowering medications etc). Having said all this, I am glad this study was done as supplements in general do not provide much of a benefit for the general population, unless one is malnourished or is recovering from cancer etc. Calcium plus Vitamin D was a lone exception and looks like it still holds good. A very high quality diet should remove the need for this one as well.

I was on dialysis 24 hrs while in the coma (the second coma) and an 8hr I have since (three years) been in the hands of the renal failure clinic but now I am no longer on mechanical or aranesp as my numbers have improved It was the nephrologist that told me to supplement diet wih calcium and to simply take Tums with calcium at meals ......that backfired as I am diabetic and they are high in sugar
so i take a plain calcium
I also take a 500mg Vit D as instructed by my endocronologist
and "replavite" vit B complex and VitC also my nephrologist
I am taking Q10 to combat the Statin Lipitor
My cardiologist has me on 81mg asa
the rest of the pills I take are Rx

Cleveland clinic told me to take calcium supplements twice a day after surgery as my sternum was thin and brittle. If their is a slight risk of a heart attack then so be it. I'm 35 and i would rather take my supplements and improve my bones so that when i am older i don't fall and break something. However, the study being done is a good thing atleast people are getting an idea what can and can't happen.

One slight issue I have is that only some but not all confounding variables have been studied. This population studied may have had an increased risk of atherosclerosis. We still do not know all the risk factors for atheromatous diseases. The study is a good one but an early one. They have rightly qualified the study including those who just took plain calcium supplements without Vitamin D added. People with Osteoporosis should continue the Calcium plus Vitamin D as before and continue the treatment for other risk factors. (cholesterol lowering and bp lowering medications etc). Having said all this, I am glad this study was done as supplements in general do not provide much of a benefit for the general population, unless one is malnourished or is recovering from cancer etc. Calcium plus Vitamin D was a lone exception and looks like it still holds good. A very high quality diet should remove the need for this one as well.

Does that mean that I could / should eat more Ice Cream (Low Fat and No Sugar Added, of course)
and Walk my Dog more, in the Sunshine? We'll both be Happy :)

'AL C'

Does that mean that I could / should eat more Ice Cream (Low Fat and No Sugar Added, of course)
and Walk my Dog more, in the Sunshine? We'll both be Happy :)

'AL C'
As long as you can tolerate diary that could be a solution. There are other sources which have the additional benefits of trace minerals as well. Part of calcium supplementation is traces of boron some magnesium and zinc. Nuts are a good choice in this respect. If you have a tendency to form kidney stones (oxalate type) then keep any vitamin C supplements below 250 mg. There is decent evidence that it increases risk of kidney stones in this cohort.

Back