Buying a Ski Helmet!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover

Hi valvers! I recently decided to resume Downhill Skiing. Ten years ago I gave up Downhill skiing after my AVR ( I'm on warfarin and aspirin) and stuck to only Nordic Skiing. This year I've decided to return to the slopes. I miss skiing and my entire family skis. So, I'm planning on buying a super good ski helmet. And I will ski the easy stuff and stay off icy slopes. Anyone have advice on buying top of the line, really good Ski Helmets?

Well I can't speak to ski helmets as I mainly XC ski, but with respect to motorcycle helmets I can speak.
  • spending more does not always get more protection
  • look for any testing standards and check what they are
  • don't expect a helmet to protect you in a real hard bash
  • pick for snug fit, good vision, less impairment of hearing
  • see if it fits your goggles.
Lastly get something which fits your style
1638908068902.png

Hi valvers! I recently decided to resume Downhill Skiing. Ten years ago I gave up Downhill skiing after my AVR ( I'm on warfarin and aspirin) and stuck to only Nordic Skiing. This year I've decided to return to the slopes. I miss skiing and my entire family skis. So, I'm planning on buying a super good ski helmet. And I will ski the easy stuff and stay off icy slopes. Anyone have advice on buying top of the line, really good Ski Helmets?
Good idea! Everyone wears helmets now as compared to years ago when it was rare to see helmets on the slopes. They are very comfortable by keeping you warm and minimize wind noise. Are you a member of Costco? The stores carry helmets, gloves, and goggles on a seasonal basis depending upon where you are located. Very high quality brands at good prices. Can also order online.
1638931572930.png

Well I can't speak to ski helmets as I mainly XC ski, but with respect to motorcycle helmets I can speak.
  • spending more does not always get more protection
  • look for any testing standards and check what they are
  • don't expect a helmet to protect you in a real hard bash
  • pick for snug fit, good vision, less impairment of hearing
  • see if it fits your goggles.
Lastly get something which fits your style
View attachment 888264
Love the helmets!!

Good idea! Everyone wears helmets now as compared to years ago when it was rare to see helmets on the slopes. They are very comfortable by keeping you warm and minimize wind noise. Are you a member of Costco? The stores carry helmets, gloves, and goggles on a seasonal basis depending upon where you are located. Very high quality brands at good prices. Can also order online.
View attachment 888266
Nice looking helmet! Value priced too!

Thank you for sharing FYI about helmets! This is the year I decided to start doing what I love doing without worrying so much about having an accident. This summer I got super brave and Mountain Biked at Crested Butte, Colorado, and I LOVED every single second of it!! Happiest cycling day ever!! ( I wore a helmet, rode smart) Now I am deciding to go downhill skiing again. I'm skiing smart, easier stuff...And I will have a total blast downhill skiing with my family! No hard stuff. But fun all way down to the bottom of the hill!! Weeeee!!

Glad you made this post Coffeelover.

I have always loved skiing. I haven't been in a couple of years, but I plan to get back to it this season. I've never worn a helmet before, but now that I am on warfarin I think that it is a good idea and will plan to wear one.

Thank you for sharing FYI about helmets! This is the year I decided to start doing what I love doing without worrying so much about having an accident. This summer I got super brave and Mountain Biked at Crested Butte, Colorado, and I LOVED every single second of it!! Happiest cycling day ever!! ( I wore a helmet, rode smart) Now I am deciding to go downhill skiing again. I'm skiing smart, easier stuff...And I will have a total blast downhill skiing with my family! No hard stuff. But fun all way down to the bottom of the hill!! Weeeee!!
I usually try to make it out to Colorado annually to ski in Telluride and visit my sister out there. Highly recommended ski resort that never has lines nor crowds. Good place to reacquaint yourself with skiing. Start with the "See Forever" run. The locals there call Crested Butte "Crusty Butt".
I'll try to post a video here of one of my runs there a few years back. It was after my first surgery (ascending aorta aneurysm) and still with my good ole unicuspid aortic valve.

Found some good videos but can't seem to upload. Anyone know max file size allowed? Thx.

Coffeelover, great to hear that you are getting back on your downhill planks. Have been a ski patroller for the past 20+ years but this will be my first season on warfarin as my surgery was this summer. It is difficult to find ski helmet protection performance data, but I have always been a fan of Smith helmets. Some of their 'brain buckets' have MIPS technology, which they say - offers more protection. Smith helmets aren't cheap, but mine have lasted a long time despite several 50+ day seasons. Let it snow! Best Ski Helmet of 2021
Bill - Ski Patol '19.jpg

Back