bunion surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cookie

Hi Everyone!
I've kind of taken the summer off from the computer so haven't posted in a while. In June it was 4 years since my AVR and am doing well.
Being on Coumadin does present some problems when it comes to even minor surgeries. I have really bad bunions and it is getting painful to walk so I decided to see a doc about them. The surgeon said as long as I get my levels down enough that I don't swell up from bleeding at the surgery sight it was a go. Does that mean I can just lower my coumadin dose or should I just go for the bridge therapy with Lovenox? I'm not a big fan of the shots in the belly but I will do whatever is necessary to protect myself. :( Anyone out there had this surgery done recently or have any advice? Would much appreciate it.
I'm going on a Mediterranean cruise in the spring and need my feet? :D

I don't know about bunion surgery, but I've had cyst surgery twice since being on coumadin. I had a search a while to find a surgeon who would do the surgery while I remained on the coumadin. He cauterized the wound after he had cut out the cyst, and no problem.
I don't know where in Ohio you are, but my surgeon is in Pontiac, Michigan. If that's too far away, you could call for a recommendation of a surgeon in your area. My surgeon for cysts is Robert Robinson, 248-338-7171.

My guess is that if your INR is about 2.5, that you will not bleed enough to need a transfusion. Doctors often fail to see it in this perspective.

Is it likely that you would bleed more than someone who has a gunshot wound to the abdomen?

If you can be cared for without needing a transfusion, why take a risk of wrecking your valve or having a stroke?

Cookie,
I don't know about bunion surgery either.
I had some severely ingrown toenails(really,really bad) removed about a month ago on four toes.
There was some bleeding of course but nothing severe.
The doctor cauterized all the cuts with a laser.
Is that an option for you?

Cookie:

Will an orthopedic surgeon do the job, or a podiatrist?
I had a bilateral bunionectomy in January 1980 BCE (Before Coumadin Era ;) ), both feet @ same time, 2 different places on each foot tackled: the actual joint trimmed and then part of the metatarsal removed, hoping to eliminate the problem. I had never worn pointed shoes, high heels or too small shoes; my problem was genetics, the orthopedic surgeon said.
I had 2 incisions on each foot (am sure they do it differently now).
I began having problems @ 27-28YO. The pain would wake me up @ night and cause problems while driving my standard transmission car. I remember one shopping trip with my boyfriend; my feet suddenly started hurting so bad that Dave had to carry me to the car. So I went to a surgeon.
Even though I had a total of 4 incisions, there was little bleeding. My feet were swollen for about 4-7 days -- toes looked like little sausages -- and even the light weight of the bedsheet resting on my feet hurt them. The nurses "tented" the sheet over my feet to keep the weight off, and at home I slept with my feet at the head of the bed, draping the sheet over the headboard. Worked great.
I think the procedure my surgeon used was more extreme than most people had at that time, or even today, except for people who also had developed hammertoes along with bunions.
It's been 24 years since my surgery and I have had no further pain or problems with my feet. I am extremely careful when I shop for shoes, though.

I would think being on Coumadin would not be a problem. But that would be up to your surgeon.
If you have any more questions about your bunionectomy, feel free to PM me.

Hummmmmmmm. This is a genetic problem in my family. Mine flare now and again. Anyway, recalling back to my mother having this done. She had alot of post surgical bleeding. This would make me think, removing part of that bone and all you should be off your Coumadin. Years ago they did this in a hospital setting. As I recall.....she was laid up in be for a few days. Today, I am sure it is outpatient?

Have thought about this in some detail as I may face this in the future. Instead of going to a podiatrist.....would be seeing an orthopedic surgeon. I think you will find the way the situation would be handled between the two would be very different. One may try it in the office. Where the other would admit you.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted. Have fun on your cruise! Sounds great

Cookie:

You should be able to do some trekking next spring without a problem.

My surgeon gave my name & phone number to a few patients and I was able to get some good info from their experiences. You might ask your doctor to do this.

Gina:

Most people today only have the bunion area (can't remember the name of the joint) worked on and I think many have it done as an outpatient. Friends who have had it done only have one foot done at a time. My problem was painful enough to have both done at same time. My surgeon was a former Texas Christian University football player who had a fair amount of athletes as patients.
I was in hospital 1 week (back then insurance didn't balk!), off work another 2 weeks. Since I could work with my feet propped up on the desk to the side of my computer, I went back to work. Couldn't drive yet; a co-worker drive me to/from work for 2-3 weeks.

Thank you all for replying. I am having an orthopedic surgeon do the work and am having both feet done. I don't want to go through this again! He didn't seem too concerned by me being on Coumadin. If I thought I could do this without going off coumadin I would. I guess this means another talk with the surgeon. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back