Bummed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first heart surgery - I went home by myself one week out. My kids and brother took turns checking on me and my wife came home most weekends. I Spent time on the phone all I could - but the gravity of things - the cold weather and crappy medicine started to work on me. I made it through and was just starting to feel productive and then found out it was for nothing. Then valve two was put in and I went home - My wife stayed a week at home and I have had less help and assistance than the first time. I sometimes feel the depression coming around and try to refocus on other things. But thinking about everything that happened this close to surgery is still overwhelming- There is no secret or magical solution- just praying that time will heal some of the emotional scars that match my wild physical scars. I have a friend dying of cancer and now have the mission to visit with her husband every chance I can - I have a good chance to recover and I need to focus to help someone else and not focus on my disaster.

Sorry to hear this Piglet! Believe me I can relate, especially when (in my case) it is your grown children! I think Old Man Emu has made a good point though. Unfortunately, unless you have experienced bad health first hand, some people do not have the capacity to really give a darn.

You certainly will always have SOMEONE here that will sympathize!

Hugs

Hey Piglet!

I'm glad to read you're feeling better about the situation. I suppose the positive is since you've experienced first hand what it's like not to receive alot of ongoing support with your health issues, you will be able to reach out to others who find themselves in a similar position.
I think that's the beauty of belong to VR.com
We might not have been the most emphathetic people pre-surgery, but we sure are post!
BIG HUG coming your way.:smile2:

Piglet,

I am a metastatic melanoma cancer survivor and I will soon need OHS for my leaky BAV. This has happened over the last two years and I notice that sometimes it's difficult for friends and family to relate, even when we need them the most.

One of the hidden blessings in all this though, is that having these problems can give you a huge amount of empathy and understanding for others who are going through difficult circumstances. Only in these last two years have I discovered the great joy in being able to understand and empathize with others who are going through hard times. Instead of being afraid to approach them, I now find that I have the courage to approach them and be a support.

There is no better remedy for loneliness than to go be a friend to the lonely. I know there are times when we just need to be comforted though. I pray that you will find comfort and peace in all this.

God Bless,
-Steve

Jeremiah 29:11

Piglet, you've got a lot to deal with, but if you stay strong mentally you can get better instead of worse. Someday soon they'll have a cure for rheumatoid arthritis.

Hello Piglet,
Was just lurking here, having to play catchup due to moving to a new place. You mentioned you have RA, how long? My mother had it all her life, died from complications from it, leukemia. She did not recieved proper treatment from the doctors she just could not trust. But that has changed since then, the pain management is better and doctors are better informed of what to do. Surgery is always a test and not always a help except from the pain of RA. Hope you are doing fone and you can find groups on line. Try healthboards, there is one for Arhritis patients, RA included. How is your heart health doing, fine I hope. Thanks for letting me find you. You are a great person to come here, we all have issues beside heart health. Hugs for today.

Sorry to hear about your Mom ((HUGS)) back at ya. I was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago. The doctors are still working on getting it under control. The treatment these days are immmunosuppressants. That's how they think I ended up getting endocarditis requiring a AV replacement. Here in Canada Doctors are required to try thier patients on the less expensive drug treatments, until they prove ineffective then they can try the ones that studies show give the best results. The are called biologics and cost around 30k a year. So far nothing they have tried has had much effect on me, but they take months to start working. Just before the heart issue back in April my Rheumatologist, who I see every 3 months, was going to start the proccess of getting approval for the biologics. Then I went into the hospital and all that was stalled. I have an appointment in November so we'll see. I'm impatient to be pain free but to be honest I'm getting used to it. I do worry about the damage the imfamation is doing though, but hey, that's life I guess. Things could be alot worse. I am a member at rachicks.com but it can be a bit depressing so I don't visit much anymore.

Latest posts

Back