(Bruised Left Forearm) HELP IT HURTS...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CThrock

Hi Everyone,
Its been awhile since I've started a Thread so here gos I need your input:
Monday I did something to my left forearm,I don't know if I hit it on something or strained it lifting frozen chickens out of the freezer.
Anyways I woke uo the next morning all swollen and hurting like hek. I put ice paks on it every few hours which seem to help and took tynolel for the pain.
The next morning it was black & blue from my wrist to my elbow both sides of forearm and was still swollen but gone done some.
On Monday I also had my INR checked and it was 4.1 well my range is 2.5-3.5.
So I called the dr. and he said it probally was bruised bad because my INR was up so he lowered it but just once a week (which I thought it should of been twice a week to lower) aways its day #5 and it getton a little better I can move my fingers and wrist more but the forearm still some swelling and hurts. Still putting ice pks on it and tynolel. I go have my INR checked again on Monday.
It looks like somebody beat me up. Now I know how Freddie felt with his eye!!!:eek:
Has anybody had this happen before? I'm I doing all I can for this to go away? Do you agree with the dr? It hurts and aches alot.
I feel like this is another set back. I just started up cardio rehab again feel very discourage.... I hope you guys can give me some fed back..No I didnt go to the drs. Didnt want to if I did'nt have too if you know what I mean..:(

Thanks for your input!!!

Hi Everyone,
Its been awhile since I've started a Thread so here gos I need your input:
Monday I did something to my left forearm,I don't know if I hit it on something or strained it lifting frozen chickens out of the freezer.
Anyways I woke uo the next morning all swollen and hurting like hek. I put ice paks on it every few hours which seem to help and took tynolel for the pain.
The next morning it was black & blue from my wrist to my elbow both sides of forearm and was still swollen but gone done some.
On Monday I also had my INR checked and it was 4.1 well my range is 2.5-3.5.
So I called the dr. and he said it probally was bruised bad because my INR was up so he lowered it but just once a week (which I thought it should of been twice a week to lower) aways its day #5 and it getton a little better I can move my fingers and wrist more but the forearm still some swelling and hurts. Still putting ice pks on it and tynolel. I go have my INR checked again on Monday.
It looks like somebody beat me up. Now I know how Freddie felt with his eye!!!:eek:
Has anybody had this happen before? I'm I doing all I can for this to go away? Do you agree with the dr? It hurts and aches alot.
I feel like this is another set back. I just started up cardio rehab again feel very discourage.... I hope you guys can give me some fed back..No I didnt go to the drs. Didnt want to if I did'nt have too if you know what I mean..:(

Thanks for your input!!!

Sounds like you are doing all the right things.....For me...bruised areas are more tender than before warfarin and take a hell of a lot longer to fade:mad:

Hope your taking Extra Strength Tylenol. I took 2 every 6 to 8 hours. Its been 10 days and my eye almost looks normal again.
Hey man if this doesn't help........go see the doctor.
Take care.

Bruises

Bruises

My experience has been the same as what others have reported. Bruises and other injuries seem to take longer to heal now that I'm on coumadin. If you think the bruising can be bad, try dislocating three fingers on one hand. My fingers took months to heal after I flipped my mountain bike last summer.

-Philip

I bumped my calf on the tow-bar one day and it took about 2 months for the bruise to totally go away...and yeah...it ached badly for alot longer than I would have thought normal. Now I have knocked my knee and it has a nice purple/black bruise on it...Ice and time is the only thing that seems to help in these cases.

Arnica is an old-fashioned herbal-type remedy in a cream that is used for bruises...I have never used it but some here may have tried it before...if you do try it I would be interested in a report of its effectiveness.

4.1 isn't all that high. I'm not sure that I'm accepting his theory. I think he should have checked it.

I have to agree with Ross on this one. Not too long ago I tripped and hit the one side of my rear-end on the edge of the coffee table. Half of my backside was totally bruised. It took more than a month to heal and it hurt like heck for more than a week....Please don't laugh. It isn't easy to sit on one butt half!!!

Doctor said bruises happen, treat it like any bruise you ever had. Coumadin just made the bruise worse than one on someone who does not take Coumadin. My INR was stable throughout the weeks of healing.

When Albert was hospitalized with bleeding in his face and neck from a fall, he had no pain at all for the 10 days he was hospitalized and after he returned home. We don't know about Al's INR because they took him off of anticoagulation when he entered the hospital.

It took a good month for Albert's bruises to abate, which is about the same time it took my rear end to return to it's usual color.

Hope this helps,

Blanche

CThrock:

Black & blue from wrist to elbow, painful and swollen? I would have gotten into my PCP's office ASAP. Might have warranted an X-ray or other tests to reassure you it's just a bruise and not something more serious.

Thanks for all your input..Sure does help when you know we each go through some of the same thing. I guess thats why we hang out so much together is we know what its like.
When I go have my INR checked tomorrow I will also have the dr check it out if I can get in.
Blanche, I had to smile with your story because I can understand the position you were in:eek:
Ross, I did'nt understand the dr either. Normally I have my INR checked once a month. It's been stable for awhile.
When I got up this am my whole arm ached better go ice it again see if that helps. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.
Crystal:)

Wow, Crystal, I just read your post & it sounds like a phenomenon that happened to me several years back.

Bill & I went to a big Archery tournament & when we came back from shooting our respective courses, Bill screamed to me, "what in the world happened to the back of your leg?" I was shocked & looked in a mirror & saw humungous bruise that ran all the way down from behind my knee down to my calf area & I could not figure out where I had hurt it or remember hurting myself at all. I hadn't fallen, taken a stray arrow or anything like that!:D:eek: And later, my leg started aching & hurting pretty bad, in fact, I barely finished the course the next day.

When we came home, I checked my INR & it was at 5.0!! The doctors never were able to figure out what had caused that bruise & I never had any reprecusions from it so I just chalked it off to one more mystery that went unexplained!!!

If your pain continues however, I would definitely go to the doctor & have it checked out! Take care & please let us know what's going on if anything!! :)

Back