Bovine valve installed 2011 - stenotic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esvaja

It's been almost 10 yrs since I had my 1st valve replaced. I went to ER last week because of shortness of breath, ankle swelling & generally feeling like I had the flu.
Well they figured out my problem - stenotic valve. i will be going to see the cardiologist to go over the results & talk about the way forward. Who here has had a
2nd replacement or proceedure re: a failing installed valve? Is TAVR a possibility? If I do need it replaced I will definitely do another tissue. Totally not interested
in taking anti-coags.

Sorry no one has responded, I have not had a second valve since mine is mechanical. At your age, your second valve, no matter how installed, may last longer. Don't put off seeing your cardiologist and getting it fixed, your symptoms are not are not insignificant.

If I do need it replaced I will definitely do another tissue. Totally not interested
in taking anti-coags.
I hope you do better on the next valve, probably your increased age will assist.

I had two surgeries before getting a mechanical valve now. The mechanical was put in at age 48, I had that done because (as the surgeon intelligently identified) "nobody will be lining up to do your 4th".

As everyone else here whos' actually on AC Therapy will say "it was all horrible in my imagination".

I've just had a second small procedure (arthritis on my big toe joint) and management of AC therapy around that was less than trivial.

To my knowledge TAVR is still for high risk people, which means "that's a category you don't want to be in".

I wish you all the best in whatever directions you take.

I had my 1st valve replacement in October 2012 at age 57, and my 2nd was February 2020, so only 7.5 years before critical stenosis set in. Both were modified sternotomies. I had/have bovine valves for both. The newest valve is 4th generation technology and is expandable for in-valve replacement in the future. I am very hopeful I have seen my last open heart surgery experience.
Best of luck to you.

Sorry to hear this. I know there is cut off size threshold for TAVR (especially valve in bioprosthetic valve). I am on the 'watch' now for surgery again. I expect it to be traditional OHS. It will be 11 years on Tuesday since my first AVR surgery. Pressure gradients have me back in the severe category, but no symptoms (at least I don't think so).
Wishing you all the best with your decision moving forward and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions with your team before you make your decision. Glad that they got to the bottom of your symptoms (although not what we want to hear).

I'm considered low risk for surgery & have been recommended for TAVR. TAVR can only be done on non-mechanical valves. The choice I have is to do TAVR now then open heart (or whatever new tech will be available) next, or have open heart & TAVR when I'm older, I'm 65 now. There is a new minimally invasive open heart being done at the Cleveland Clinic where I had my 1st done - partial sternotomy. I'm gonna check it out Nov 9th at the Cleveland Clinic. My problem with the valve is calcium build up. I've heard they've been testing valves that are resistant to it. Anybody hear of those?

I'm considered low risk for surgery & have been recommended for TAVR. TAVR can only be done on non-mechanical valves. The choice I have is to do TAVR now then open heart (or whatever new tech will be available) next, or have open heart & TAVR when I'm older, I'm 65 now. There is a new minimally invasive open heart being done at the Cleveland Clinic where I had my 1st done - partial sternotomy. I'm gonna check it out Nov 9th at the Cleveland Clinic. My problem with the valve is calcium build up. I've heard they've been testing valves that are resistant to it. Anybody hear of those?
Look the inspiris resilia valve from Edwards /
https://www.edwards.com/devices/heart-valves/resilia

I have the Inspiris Resilia. And while it's new (my surgery was in January of this year), my surgeon was confident that this would be a game changer. I'm 38 (was 37 when I had at the valve replacement) and he said, "You'd be crazy to get a mechanical valve" with these new bioprosthetics and the advances in TAVR. We'll see!

I had a bovine installed 2012, and in Feb. 2020 another bovine valve. It is the Inspiris Resilia valve, and it does have anti-calcification properties, as well as the ability for valve-in-valve down the road. (Fingers crossed)

For what it's worth, I was 57 1st surgery, and 65 years the 2nd OHS

I had my 1st valve replacement in October 2012 at age 57, and my 2nd was February 2020, so only 7.5 years before critical stenosis set in. Both were modified sternotomies. I had/have bovine valves for both. The newest valve is 4th generation technology and is expandable for in-valve replacement in the future. I am very hopeful I have seen my last open heart surgery experience.
Best of luck to you.
Why did they decide or allow you to do a partial sternotomy? That was totally discouraged by my contact at Dr. at CC Dr Collier. Maybe because it is my 2nd. Honestly he has not been very cooperative with answering my questions or giving any kind of support with this 2nd AVR at CC I'm giving him a break because possibly of all the covid issues are making people crazy.

Why did they decide or allow you to do a partial sternotomy? That was totally discouraged by my contact at Dr. at CC Dr Collier. Maybe because it is my 2nd. Honestly he has not been very cooperative with answering my questions or giving any kind of support with this 2nd AVR at CC I'm giving him a break because possibly of all the covid issues are making people crazy.
Same experience here at the CC. The second surgery could only be a full sternotomy after a mini. Scar tissue and increased risks were cited. And frankly, the full went alot better than the mini. Just a bigger scar.

Latest posts

Back