Blow to Head Tonight

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeskillet

Tonight I was running from my puppy in the house and accidentally slammed my head into the brick fireplace. A fairly large knot immediately popped up. This is the first time this has happened since being anticoagulated.

INR tested at 2.0 tonight, so not very high, but not sure what to do? The LAST thing I want is another stay in the hospital..but beats being dead or having a brain bleed. Your thoughts?

Homeskillet;n885905 said:
Tonight .... Your thoughts?

OUch ....

well IIRC Warrick bashed his head walking underneath a harvester on something low. I understood that was something which hurt.

I've hit my head on a beam underneath my house while installing my floor heating system (here http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2018/07...ing-again.html) where I had a little sit down ... it hurt enough that I didn't even swear.

My view is that its good to keep an eye out on symptoms which follow this. I suggest you monitor yourself (and perhaps if anyone is with you monitor you) for symptoms of concussion:
http://brainfoundation.org.au/disorders/concussion

Concussion can lead to some or all of the following symptoms: a short period of unconsciousness (30 minutes or less), confusion, dizziness, amnesia (generally lasting less than 24 hours), persistent, low-grade headaches. A period of amnesia, or not recalling what has happened, is essential to the diagnosis of concussion

(I like the fact that they include skydiving as a source of blows to the head ... optimists aren't they)

if anything manifests then go to the ER ... explain the basics (I'm on warfarin, I bonked my head).

probably you'll be fine

pellicle;n885906 said:
OUch ....

well IIRC Warrick bashed his head walking underneath a harvester on something low. I understood that was something which hurt.

I've hit my head on a beam underneath my house while installing my floor heating system (here http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2018/07...ing-again.html) where I had a little sit down ... it hurt enough that I didn't even swear.

My view is that its good to keep an eye out on symptoms which follow this. I suggest you monitor yourself (and perhaps if anyone is with you monitor you) for symptoms of concussion:
http://brainfoundation.org.au/disorders/concussion

Concussion can lead to some or all of the following symptoms: a short period of unconsciousness (30 minutes or less), confusion, dizziness, amnesia (generally lasting less than 24 hours), persistent, low-grade headaches. A period of amnesia, or not recalling what has happened, is essential to the diagnosis of concussion

(I like the fact that they include skydiving as a source of blows to the head ... optimists aren't they)

if anything manifests then go to the ER ... explain the basics (I'm on warfarin, I bonked my head).

probably you'll be fine

That’s the same thing the nurse told me just now on the phone. She has a Dr. calling me in a bit. Good points as usual mate (was hoping you would chime in).

What got my attention is that it really rang my bell super hard. Will await the Drs. input, but I would be willing to wager that he tells me to go to ER, which is the absolute last thing I want to do!

Thanks again Pel.

Hi Homeskillet, about a year ago I tripped over the dog going up my back stoop and fell pretty hard head first, actually forehead first, on the blue-stone landing. It started swelling so I called my doctor and she had me go to the ER to get a CT scan just in case. Like you, going to the ER is the last thing I want to do but it didn't take long, they get you in pretty fast for a fall on the head. Everything was fine and I was out in about 2 hours with instructions on what to watch out for during the next few days.

This was the first time I ever fell on my head as an adult so I really didn't have anything to compare it to. I didn't really know how hard is too hard so I actually felt ok about going to the ER.

The best part was the development of two black eyes the next day which made for some fun stories I could tell for the next week or two!

Feel better.

Well I did a first aid refresher course today so am full of knowledge...(tongue in cheek)...

A woman today recounted where she was playing netball and got an elbow in the face, the next day she was doing a first aid course and they listed off the symptoms of delayed concussion-
  • Confusion or feeling as if in a fog.
  • Amnesia surrounding the traumatic event.
  • Dizziness or "seeing stars"
  • Ringing in the ears.
  • Nausea.
  • Vomiting.
She realised she had these symptoms and sought medical attention, she said she took 3 months to recover and found some of the effects similar to stroke such as slurred speach and cognitive loss.
And thats someone not anticoagulated, so what I took from that among other things is how serious a knock can get and I guess its human nature to down play such things. I think murphys law the time you seek medical attention for a knock you will be fine, and the time you think she’ll be right you won’t be so lucky.
Myself I’ve been largely “knock free” apart from standing up under the odd cupboard door...ouch.

Thank y’all much for your input. I spoke with 2 Drs. & they both said they thought I would be okay since I didn’t break the skin - and, the bruising is not as bad as I thought it would be. They also told me what to watch for and act upon immediately should such manifestations appear.

Watching it closely, but really hit a super hard lick. I am finding myself getting farrrr too comfy w. this stuff since I have a little time under my belt now...which is precisely when you can get bit!

First thing I did was run to this forum! Thank you again!

Oh, incidentally, I am considering getting my sternal wires removed since they bother me at the top of my sternum. How painful was that for those of you that have had it done, and how long was your recovery?

I would imagine they they have to put you under general anesthesia, which, for me, means a catheter since anytime I have ANY general anesthesia I cannot urinate for 3 days at a minimum.

Your thoughts (or should I begin a new thread)?

Homeskillet;n885923 said:
Oh, incidentally, I am considering getting my sternal wires removed since they bother me at the top of my sternum. How painful was that for those of you that have had it done, and how long was your recovery?

I would imagine they they have to put you under general anesthesia, which, for me, means a catheter since anytime I have ANY general anesthesia I cannot urinate for 3 days at a minimum.

Your thoughts (or should I begin a new thread)?

Probably best to begin a new thread, as the subject may get lost in this post and sternal wire issues could be of interest to others.

Glad nothing too serious initially with the head bump.

Homeskillet So sorry to hear about the knock to the head. It is normal to get a bump after hitting the head. Just be sure to watch them, and be sure to go to doctor when you feel like passing out. I can't tell you since by last bypass, AVR replacement with the St. Judes' aortic valve, being on coumadin/warafarin, I have had bumps and bruises on my arms, stomach, and shines from bumps and walking into doorways, bumping my head on cabinet doors, hard. It comes with the territory, We all have to watch the areas carefully. But at least you are alive and well. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back