Bloody nose

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treichert0312

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This is my first winter with warfarin and I read something about humidifier and bloody noses. Thought I might be OK since I am on CPap with humidity but yesterday noticed blood when I blew my nose, and now it is background bleed.
No more nose blowing!
But just interested in your experience with this - is it a big concern or just a rite of passage?
Thanks

But just interested in your experience with this - is it a big concern or just a rite of passage?
Thanks
I had nosebleeds before surgery as well as after surgery during the cold dry winter months. It is aggravated since I am also on Oxygen 24/7 which also dries out the nose. I do the following:
1. Use a nasal moisturizing spray (Ocean) a few times a day.
2. Use a "Sinus Rinse" to soften dry nasal membranes before I blow my nose.....one nostril at a time.
3. Don't blow hard.
4. We have a whole-house stand-alone humidifier that also helps.....especially my wife who also gets winter nose dryness and bleeds and is not on blood thinners.

Reactions: Eva
No more nose blowing!
well rather than an all or nothing approach I'd say blow gently but not like an air compressor.

I occasionally get (depending where I'm living) dry nasal passages and I would occasionally see coagulated blood in my tissues in the morning or during the day.

It seems to me as I age become more sensitive to particles in the air (like when using the ride on lawn mower which ejects to the side making operation dusty). Combined with a recently (what I think is a post COVID effect of) acquired annoying post nasal drip I've turned to irrigation of my nasal passages daily. I make my own saline up (and always boil the water), making a litre at a time and typically use 100ml per irrigation. I do it with a large (no, really, large) diameter syringe to force water in at higher pressures (basic hydraulics at work there) to get in behind the septa in each side.
1669146497951.png

I use the kitchen scales (I have a digital set that's designed to measure no more than 500g, which is thus more accurate at 5g) to make my mix and use a slightly lower than normal 9g per L of water and add about 2g of baking soda. I recommend you use cooking salt (not table salt) because it does not (or shouldn't) have the anti-caking agent in it.
If your water is highly mineral, then run the water through a filter jug before boiling (something I do to extend the life of my espresso machine, which is now (about) in its 20th year of service).

The baking soda is a good addition for a number or reasons.

It takes practice to find the method but I sniffle a little back, as I've filled the cavity of my sinus (you'll feel it in the eyes), to ensure that I get behind too.

This has been very successful for me.

Best Wishes

Not sure what you mean by "background bleed." A little blood when you blow is of no concern. However I am on warfarin and occasionally get bloody noses that flow. Got them before warfarin too. If you don't normally get bloody noses, check your INR. For a bloody nose, the best thing is to stuff toilet paper in there and leave it ~10min and then remove gently. If you nose bleeds are due to humidity being low, put some petroleum jelly on your finger and coat the inside of your nostril as far up as you can go. Do it in the morning and night. It helps prevent them. For your CPAP maybe you need to increase the humidity level too.

Reactions: Eva
Ditto on the vaseline. I load up a qtip and rotate it around. I have had bleeds on trips to arizona and vegas. I am sure the vegas one had nothing to do with the extra alcohol increasing my INR. ;). Things like eyes and nasal passages dry out more the older we get so that doesn't help either.

I don't think this can be stressed enough. Your days of honking until it "all comes out" is over. Just a little huff every now and then. Learned that lesson not long after coming home.
I blow hard all the time except when I've just had a nosebleed. Given my sinuses, a hard blow is needed to clear them. For me it's the humidity or the combination of sinus allergies and more than a few days of Flonase that makes my nose bleed.

I don't think this can be stressed enough. Your days of honking until it "all comes out" is over. Just a little huff every now and then. Learned that lesson not long after coming home.
Be sure to use saline, for it will keep your nose from drying out, causing the nose bleeds also.

Latest posts

Back