Blood Thinners (and why they aren't)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just find when I tell people I’m on warfarin they say ‘oh blood thinners’ to which I generally reply ‘ it doesn’t actually thin your blood it just extends the clotting time, to which a blank look back is normally given. I don’t care because I know better.

My father RIP was on warfarin for 30+ years and he still believed it thinned his blood so it would flow thru his valve..
I think it’s a lazy term if anything especially when I hear doctors use it and it’s just become the normal term over 70+ years of use, right or wrong
A bit like calling jandals thongs…

I just find when I tell people I’m on warfarin they say ‘oh blood thinners’ to which I generally reply ‘ it doesn’t actually thin your blood it just extends the clotting time, to which a blank look back is normally given. I don’t care because I know better.
Maybe there are a thousand medical terms I don't know about...and this one too?😁

In my experience the use of the term blood thinner or anticoagulant is not used in isolation and I often have the opportunity, and the responsibility, to inform others as to the difference and to the importance of being accurate. Besides that, isn't this site primarily for the purpose of education and don't we all agree that "words mean something?" There should be no disagreement about this.
And if I may address Carolinemc, if I were you I would not get into a tiff with Pellicle. You are in different classes.
I am not, He is the one cause tiffs if anyone does not agree with him, he forgetting he is in Australia and I am in America, where we can agree to disagree. So, if I disagree, I can, due to freedom of speech. Done with this discussion.

Well Wiki disagrees: Anticoagulants, commonly known as blood thinners, are chemical substances that prevent or reduce coagulation of blood, prolonging the clotting time.[1]

Language is not static. There is no "right definition." Even in the days of printed dictionaries, they were updated every 5 years or so.

If one uses the term blood thinner and is understood by the person they are talking to...Score :) If one uses the term anticoagulant and the person does not understand that means warfarin, this could be a dangerous miscommunication.
I agree with you, for some say Protime and other say INR. And some also say Coagulant and other say Anticoagulant. Just the way a person views, nothing wrong with that.
Have a great day.

In my experience the use of the term blood thinner or anticoagulant is not used in isolation and I often have the opportunity, and the responsibility, to inform others as to the difference and to the importance of being accurate. Besides that, isn't this site primarily for the purpose of education and don't we all agree that "words mean something?" There should be no disagreement about this.
And if I may address Carolinemc, if I were you I would not get into a tiff with Pellicle. You are in different classes.
And to Quincy Runner, shaming people to not disagree with misinformation is not nice at all. Have a nice day. And we are all in the same class.

I am not, He is the one cause tiffs if anyone does not agree with him, he forgetting he is in Australia and I am in America, where we can agree to disagree. So, if I disagree, I can, due to freedom of speech. Done with this discussion.
You’re free to say the sky is plaid, but if someone is making a life or death decision based on the color of the sky, you can expect to have that information corrected, clarified, or whatever. In a forum like this, it’s not going to be left to stand and in the good old US of A, people are free to correct bad information. I’m guessing Australia has many of the same personal freedoms that we do as well. Except they have to eat Vegemite. It’s in their constitution. I wonder if that alters the viscosity of ones blood?

Except they have to eat Vegemite.
Another of the draconian laws in our prison island, we have no freedom of speech and have to meet our Vegemite consumption quota ...then as Warrick observes there is the mandatory thong wearing...

A typical day in a typical Australian office

Last edited:
What if they understand each other and are both wrong? 🤔
its a relatively new religion, but I understand that among adherents to Wokism being wrong and not understanding each other are signs that they are both right.

I mean, just based on the few Wokies I know (you, understand, its law in Oz that we must be inclusive and spend time with people who would otherwise be regarded as outcasts ... to be inclusive ... and because we have no rights)

as Warrick observes there is the mandatory thong wearing...

Being forced to see certain peaple wearing thongs, that truly is an island prison. See, in America, we would call that cruel and unusual punishment, which we are protected from, in addition to, you know, our 'freedom of speech".

Too bad ya'll don't have a constitution. See, then not only would you not have to watch everyone walk around in the mandated thongs, but, you would be allowed to speak your mind about it if it did happen.

Too bad ya'll don't have a constitution.
Settle down mate, we only got laws in the last 2 hundred years, and the early ones were harsh.
1670977959767.png

You’re free to say the sky is plaid, but if someone is making a life or death decision based on the color of the sky, you can expect to have that information corrected, clarified, or whatever. In a forum like this, it’s not going to be left to stand and in the good old US of A, people are free to correct bad information. I’m guessing Australia has many of the same personal freedoms that we do as well. Except they have to eat Vegemite. It’s in their constitution. I wonder if that alters the viscosity of ones blood?
If you have noticed, I am from the USA. They have a different thing in Australia. End of story.

The alcohol/water dilution misconception ought to be clarified/corrected. There will be people coming and going through this forum for times to come. Sometimes skimming or reading on tiny cell screens. No sense in replacing misused terms with misused terms. Nip that one in the bud. All the OT chatter doesn't help either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back