Blood Pressure Medications

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djacq

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
I am out of state for the next few months and away from my doctors. I had a GI bleed and was hospitalized over Christmas while out of state. (Coumadin, Plavix and ASA) In the process, they found that I have Poly Cystic Kidney Disease Stage 3. I saw the local Nephrologist and he mentioned Lisinopril, an Ace Inhibitor, as a blood pressure medication that is used to manage BP in those with Poly Cystic Kidney Disease. I am on Cardizen, a Channel Blocker. I seem to remember that those with mechanical valves should use Channel Blockers? Is this true? I want to ask the local MD to change me over to Lisinopril but would like some opinions on types of BP meds used with mechanical valves. Thanks for any ideas.

I am on Lisinopril, but have been since well before my mechanical valve and wasn't aware that valves were a factor. I am also on a Beta Blocker, but not a Channel Blocker. I hadn't heard of those before, but given that my stenosis was because of calcification they seem a good idea and so I will discuss with my Cardiologist next time I see him. (My surgeon commented that the combination of insulin with statins is now thought to contribute to calcification, and I am on both, so calcium is definitely a concern).

I have my Cardio manage my blood pressure medications per recommendation from my GP who used to do it before I had a cardio. My cardio says there are a lot of different blood pressure medications I can take. I am on Lisinopril before and after a mechanical valve implant. After my valve replacement, he supplemented the linsinopril with amidoline besylate. The combination of the two is common. Linsinopril has one side effect, a slight cough in some people. This was told to me by my surgeon, GP and cardio. I have allergies, so I'd have a cough anyway.

Thank you for the information. Nephro said Lisinopril more kidney friendly. I wish I had my own Docs from home but will be seeing a GP here end of month and from replies from London Andy and Tom, feel more comfortable asking to change over to Lisinopril with my AVR. Thank you both.

Back