Blood pressure management after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

teri

Just wondering if any of you other Ross Procedure folks, or other valve replacement patients in general, had any issues in the weeks and months after surgery keeping your blood pressure as low as it needed to be. As you know, for the Ross, they try and keep the pressure quite low (systolic around 110) to allow the new aortic valve, formerly the pulmonary valve, time to build up to the higher pressures in the aortic position. DJ, about 4 weeks post-op now, has pressure hovering around 135/85 the last few days. They have added an ACE inhibitor to his regimen of beta blockers, but we are not seeing much difference. They really can't increase the beta blockers, because his pulse is already kind of low, around 55 to 60. The doctors have said his heart is so strong and in such good shape now, it will be hard to keep his pressure low. He feels great, but the pressure is a bit of a worry. If you had similiar experiences, and found a way to keep the pressure down, I'd love to know. Thanks everyone! Teri

Prior to having my Ross, I hade HBP and was taking Avalide (AM) and Lotrel in the PM. After the surgery, I was told to continue with previous med doses, however, my BP went too low. My card told me to just try the Lotrel in the AM and drop the avalide. That worked fine for a while and kept my BP at about 125/70. After about six months I noticed my pesky BP was creeping up slightly and then my card put me on Benicar (AM) and Lotrel (PM). I have been on these two for over a year and the combo seems to work OK for me, as my BP is consistantly about 120/70.
It may take a little adjustment in finding the right dosage and meds that work, but IMO, it's important to keep as much stress ( due to hypertension) off the autograft as possible. Therefore, I don't mind so much that I have to take two meds for my BP as long as my new valve isn't being over-stressed due to HBP.
--Doug

One of the difficulties is that the heart is both healing and changing during this time, adapting to a much easier existence, remodelling to a less massive muscle, rejoining endothelium at the surgical points, regrowing tiny neural path attachments severed in the surgery.

Blood pressure, pulse rates, and other heart issues (such as occurrences and types of arrhythmias) can rise and fall rapidly during the first year, particularly for the first three to six months.

Because of this, it's difficult to choose the correct path to take in regard to them. Your cardiologist certainly should know about these types of changes, but none of these changes should be considered at all permanent. A large number of people report post-sugical changes to pulse rates and blood pressure, and particularly report that these changes evolve as they continue to heal. This is fine when they're headed in a direction we like, but disappointing or threatening when they are negative in nature. We mostly hear about them here when that's the case. However, the pendulum does tend to continue swinging, and many of these unhappy results do turn around as a matter of time and course. Each person is different, as is each result.

My personal bias is that this should be a strong consideration for medications prescribed to treat these often temporary - sometimes fleeting - conditions. Wherever reasonably possible, a flexible approach to the initiation, potency, and the longevity of presciptions would likely best serve the postoperative patient. The heart has been exposed to some trauma, and will take some time to reregulate itself. The desire to keep HR or BP symptoms from going too far out of control needs to be balanced with the understanding that the body may be trying to work out those issues on its own at the same time.

It's particularly important to keep an eye on blood pressure and pulse, as they often do vary from month to month in the initial healing year (even longer for some). The medication given to halt a dramatic rise the month before may be causing faintness (syncope) five weeks later from low pressure. Beta blockers slow the heart rate to aid in healing and lessen pressures on the new valve, but changing circumstance can make them overly aggressive. Not everyone is able to function well at a 50 BPM rate.

Also, as blood pressure medications tend to lose effectiveness over time, it's important not to overuse them, particularly in younger people. If a BP medication isn't helping, the patient should try to get off of it as rapidly as the physician and the medication's profile allow. If the patient's blood pressure is managed down to the very low end of the normal spectrum, instead of congratulating the fact that it's solidly under control, ask the prescriber to consider whether the dosage could be lowered and still leave the patient within the theraputic range.

If your home equipment is regularly measuring a lower pressure than is measured in the doctor's office, ensure that you're using the measuring unit properly. If you are, the chances are that the doctor's measurements are atypical, caused by situational stress ("white coat syndrome"). Rather than allowing prescriptions to be made purely on the basis of BP readings taken in the office, ask for an ambulatoiry blood pressure monitor for overnight measurement.

It's surprising how many times the practical (typical) blood pressure is actually found to be lower than the physician's readings. Imagine how many blood pressure prescriptions are based on a single, correctly performed, but misleading measurement done in a doctor's office.

Best wishes,

I had a value repair and didn't have high blood pressure problems before surgery, except right before surgery which they attributed to having too many "white coats" surrounding me.

Since the surgery, I've had "borderline" high blood pressure and the Cardiologist prescribed Atacand.

Thanks for this thread, and to BobH, somewhat especially, for his thorough answer.

I am 5 months post op and hoping to lower my dosage of Atenolol. I've been through the 36 visit rehab committment, and my BP and heartrate are working beautifully. Consequently, no one (doctor, nurse) wants to change a thing. I, on the other hand, would like to let my own body try to regulate things abit as Bob suggests. Also, the vivid dreams I'm now having from the Atenolol are driving me crazy. I'm going to get established in my own little exercise regime and then approach the cardiologist about it all at 6 months (don't want them saying, honey, it hasn't even been 6 months yet! :p ). I have a reliable (somewhat spendy) home BP machine and have been advised by a PT to take a reading 3x a day for awhile. That is my plan.

Currently on 80 mg Diovan in the morning, 50 mg Atenolol (beta blocker) at night for strong arrythmias which occured prior to and 1 month out of surgery. No PVC's since. (however monthly hormones in a 52 year old female have made for some pounding heart feelings around that time). In other words, things are changing and continue to change....but really only moderately for me.

Marguerite

tobagotwo said:
If your home equipment is regularly measuring a lower pressure than is measured in the doctor's office, ensure that you're using the measuring unit properly. If you are, the chances are that the doctor's measurements are atypical, caused by situational stress ("white coat syndrome"). Rather than allowing prescriptions to be made purely on the basis of BP readings taken in the office, ask for an ambulatoiry blood pressure monitor for overnight measurement.

It's surprising how many times the practical (typical) blood pressure is actually found to be lower than the physician's readings. Imagine how many blood pressure prescriptions are based on a single, correctly performed, but misleading measurement done in a doctor's office.

Best wishes,

Interesting observation. We took our blood pressure machine with us when they did my cath to test ti against the machine at the hopsital. It showed the one we bought to be right on the money when compared to the machine at the hospital. The one at the hospital worked just like ours, it pumped up automatically every 2 or 3 minutes and took the pressure. Now when any physician takes it using a stethascope they ALWAYS come out way higher than my machine tests. I took my pressure before going in one day, it was 115/70 when the nurse took it she had 155/85. There is no way I was that nervous as I fully expected numbers close to those I had taken just an hour prior. I had been taking my pressures twice daily prior to that day and never had gone above 125/82

I still do not know why there was such a huge difference.

Back