Blood not clotting during surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debster

I found out today that a man from my husbands hometown passed during valve repair (not sure which one). I was told his blood did not clot and he passed. I was surprised to learn this-is this common? I guess when my mom had her mitral valve replaced this did not occur to me. I feel so bad for his family-he was only 69 years old.

Certain liver diseases - or perhaps, a failing liver or clotting disorder - can cause blood not to clot during surgery. Perhaps this man was dying, not only because of a bad valve, but because of liver complications. A complete workup may not have detected the liver problem, and it may not have shown up in INR testing (which they probably didn't do, because he wasn't taking warfarin).

Sometimes the unexpected happens.

Not nice to hear of anyone who doesn’t survive ohs, I think of Bill Paxton often... I was a fan.
They use heparin during the procedure Im assuming so it goes thru the heart lung machine with out clotting
From my op notes-
“patient was heparinized and cannulated for cardiopulmonary bypass.”

Latest posts

Back