Blood Clot or Infection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Penny,
I was just thinking since you've had no news so far on the blood cultures, it must be good news that no infection is found. It's been what, 4 days since they were done? That's going on 96 hours; I don't know if they read them much past 96 hours; from what I've read, bacteria, if present, usually shows up within 24 - 48 hours.

If something had been found, you should have been notified; however, I would call doc's office first thing in the morning to be sure; in fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to call your doc this afternoon and ask about the status of the blood cultures.

I've noticed doctors are much more vigilant about blood cultures than they were 20 years ago. When I went to the ER about a week after my surgery, blood cultures were drawn; the ER doc if they were positive they'd send out the National Guard to find me -- an over exaggeration on his part, sure, but it is that important that you know so treatment can be started.

Here's hoping for smooth sailing the rest of the way and with the TEE, too! :thumbup:

I got a call today from the doc saying the preliminary results came back on the blood cultures as negative so far... great news! I am just patiently waiting for the TEE on wednesday.. thanks everyone for your concern and such wonderful support... love ya all!

I got a call today from the doc saying the preliminary results came back on the blood cultures as negative so far... great news! I am just patiently waiting for the TEE on wednesday.. thanks everyone for your concern and such wonderful support... love ya all!

Are you still on coumadin incase it is a clot, if so have they been testing your INR? I still can't believe they couldn't get you in for a TEE for over a week for an ER case.

I just got back and was checking around and found this....I am so sorry this is happening to you. I am glad to hear that the results are negative and I hope the TEE goes smoothly. I will be thinking about you :) Robin

Yaaaaayyyyy, Penny! Great news, friend!! You're still in my prayers for Wednesday's test! Take care!

thanks everyone..
Lyn, just to answer your question, yes I am still on warfarin.
Robin, so nice to see you back...
I have been feeling ok and my heart seems fine so a few more prayers and hopefully they will be wrong about it being a clot.
I am still having lung issues, had another xray today for they said it seems like there is fluid in it... all I know is that it still hurts.. darn it I was getting excited about getting rid of my little spiro friend.. lol

Sorry for the complications and hoping you are feeling much better very soon :)

well went for the TEE today, still don't know anything. I had 3 cardiologists there, they are stumped. I guess the surgeon didn't know either. The only thing is that he said it appears smaller than the first regular echo.They ran more blood cultures and now I wait again. They said they were going to have a closer look at the pictures they took and let me know..

Did they talk about doing a MRI or higher slice CT scan (64, 124, or even 320 which most centers don't have) to get a clearer picture? I don't how how 2nd opinions work in Canada, is it possible to reqest a 2nd opinion from anothe center to see if they have any ideas?

well the good news is, whatever it is is getting smaller. it just must be so stressfull not knowing all this time

Last edited:
<rolling my eyes> Oh, Lord, Penny! It's good they did more blood cultures. It's not good you don't know anything definite yet! I would say a CT scan or MRI would be in order.

Penny,

I had a bit of fluid in my right lung. It finally dissapated on it's own. I resolved to use the spirometer regularly, even though it was difficult. It does make a diffference.

Hi Penny, I am new here. I hope all is well, did not see any recent posts from you. Sometimes, I wonder if all these tests are confusing. My wife did ECG three weeks post op, the machine said "Abnormal ECG ...... unconfirmed diagnosis" Doc said not to worry, then why do the ECG, what r they looking for ???? Anyway, in your case, u have three cardios looking at the echo, I am sure everything would be ok.

Latest posts

Back