Blood Clot or Infection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well peeps got some news today.. not sure yet how serious it could turn out to be. I went to have my 6 wk check up and echo. Had the echo done this morning and then I went to the see the cardiologist in the afternoon. We had a good chat and he told me at the end that he thought everything was ok. When I asked him about the echo (cause he ususally gets results right away) he said he hadn't received them yet and he felt I was ok to go. Well I left my cell home today (by accident) and when I got home (2hrs later) I checked my msgs. 3 calls from different doctors and with a msg from one saying it was important that I call her back on her cell. ( you know when they give out their cells they are concerned) I called her back and turns out the echo showed a spot on my new valve which they feel is either a blood clot or an infection. So down I went to the doc and they put me on warfarin. I am to have a different type of echo where they put the probe down my throat to have a better look at what it is yippee that sounds fun.. good news of all of this is that if the clot lets go... it will just get trapped in my lungs is what they tell me. It will be painful but at least I won't have a stroke... yay what more :(

Penny, I know you are worried, but we all know that echos are only as good as the tech performing them. When I was about 6 weeks post op, I noticed a red line forming across my incision. My cardio had me come in right away and they did an echo. The tech scared me to death because she saw something that she didn't know what it was and then made some comment about it being infection inside my heart. I freaked out (which I'm sure you are doing). It turned out that what she was seeing was the old little nubs of my native tricuspid valve my surgeon left in place. I turned out to only have a superficial infection in one part of my incision. 14 days of antibiotics to be on the safe side. When are they doing the TEE? I would hope, like, tomorrow. Also, I would find it hard to believe that you could have an infection on the valve and not have any other symptoms. Did they do blood cultures? I mean, if it is an infection, warfarin isn't going to help that...you need to be on an antibiotic and I would insist to be on one now if they even slightly suspected that it could be an infection.

You should check out Bryan B's recent threads... he just recently spent time in the hospital for a clot that was found in his heart. They put him on warfarin and I think he is doing well now.
http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...spital-at-Duke-Medical-Center&highlight=bryan

My fingers are crossed for you that it was just a bad interpretation and that things are fine. Please keep us posted as soon as you know something.

Kim

Last edited:
I was told it was the radiologist that made the call about what was spotted on the echo. Off tomorrow to get the blood cultures done (which I was told would determine whether it was a infection or not... thanks for the link I will go and have a look at it... thanks for all of your support

This happened to me Penny after my 3rd OHS. When I went in for my 6 month Echo, they detected a spot on my old valve & they thought I either had a clot or a piece of pannus growth that had somehow broken loose & was lodged in my valve. The doctors here panicked & I was sent to Houston for a complete evaluation.

While in Houston, I underwent a right-heart cath and a TEE. The spot or shadow that had been detected on the Echo, was NO longer there! Poof....it was gone!

So if that happened to me, chances are that it could happen to anyone! I do hope that that is the case with you!

Will keep you in my thoughts & prayers!

So sorry Penny about the scary news. Hang in there and keep us posted. Thinking about ya and hope everything turns out ok. I'm sure it will. And when you get past this one, I say you've had your fair share of speed bumps, so no more for you!

Penny I'm sorry to hear this. I'm a little surprised they didn't have to come right in, if they thought there might be an infection. Are they going to do any other bloodwork, beside the blood cultures? I was pretty sure they only show infections that are in the blood. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing. What time is your TEE?

I will prob find out tomorrow when this TEE is going to take place... I am concerned because I would think they would want me in the hospital right away doing the tests and blood work.. I am 2hrs from my cardiologist so I didn't get the msg until they were all closed. The cardiologist will be getting a call tomorrow, so will the surgeon. We will see how fast they decide to act on this.. wish me luck.. thanks guys for all the posts.. it gives me some comfort... :)

You might also want to ask your Cardiologist more about the possibility of the spot being a Clot.
I'm thinking that being put on Warfarin may eventually cause a clot to 'dissolve' and eventually just disappear, assuming it does not break loose. Be sure to confirm that possibility with your Doctors.

'AL C'

Oh Penny!!!

I just sent you a very long private message before I saw your post!!! I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with this issue now! I am going to keep you so very close in my prayers and I'm trusting that whatever it is, it's just going to go away and everything's going to be just fine!! You keep your chin up and know that you have tons of support here amongst all of your heart brothers and sisters! We love you Penny and are praying and trusting for the very, very best! Take care and keep us posted please!!!!

Penny,

Wishing you the best. Sounds like you are preparing yourself. Worst case, they caught in time, and can do something minimally to correct this. Best case,,,,you can go home kick back and relax. Hoping you will be doing exactly that.

Penny,

My recent echo showed a spot in the atrium.
njean said:
I underwent a right-heart cath and a TEE. The spot or shadow that had been detected on the Echo, was NO longer there! Poof....it was gone!

The Tee showed that mine was gone too (was probably never there). I didn't have the cath or blood cultures, but the result was ruled an "artifact" (false reading). Hope you have the same result and can relax as much as possible in the meantime.

Penny,

My recent echo showed a spot in the atrium.

The Tee showed that mine was gone too (was probably never there). I didn't have the cath or blood cultures, but the result was ruled an "artifact" (false reading). Hope you have the same result and can relax as much as possible in the meantime.

Keep the faith Penny......these errors do happen! Hoping for the best for you!

Penny,
I will be praying that everything is okay. I know the stress/worry you must be going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cherie'

Back