bleeding in my abdominal muscles

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross, some of us are becoming a bit "old" for that calendar.....get after some more of the younguns.

Well missy, did it ever occur to you that I'm becoming an old man and just maybe, young and old still do it for me? :D

We're getting old enough that we couldn't really see the calendar anymore anyway. It's just the idea of it...

I hope the bleeding has stopped and the clot is holding well. I guess it'll be a few weeks for the black-and-blue to dissipate. Gentle (not crunchy) movement can help the leaked blood in the bruise move on, but do be careful not to rip it again or stretch it too far.

Feel better soon, so you can chase that 3-year-old.

Best wishes,

I got to come home today. Will resume my normal Coumadin dose tonight and check my INR on Tues. Am being very careful not to open anything back up here. Thanks for the well wishes!

so the official name is Rectus Sheath Hematoma. Somewhat common in anticoagulant users. Can be cause by any sudden movement basically. One woman got one from jumping out of a chair too fast. Another got one from reaching up to fix a curtain rod. SO I guess they cannot blame my exercise on this.
Wanted to warn you guys, if you get a small sharp pain and it starts getting worse and spreading or swelling, you better get it checked. It is actually pretty deadly for us. 25% death rate for anticoagulane users. I will never hesitate to get something checked again. Even though my insurance sucks!

I need to do more research, but anticoagulation seems to be a risk and not a cause. My question is, is it really more common in anticoagulated people or is it simply more common based on a small sampling of patients being on anticoagulants?

Rectus Sheath Hematoma.

A few copies from above.
Rectus sheath hematoma is an ancient disorder first being accurately described by Hippocrates and mentioned by Galen. The first reported case in the United States was by Richardson in 1857.

Rectus sheath hematoma is an uncommon, but not rare, cause of abdominal pain. In 1999, Klingler et al found an incidence of 1.8% among 1257 patients admitted to the hospital with abdominal pain and undergoing ultrasonography for diagnosis.3 Anticoagulation is a well-known risk factor. The incidence is thought to be on the rise, with the increased use of oral anticoagulation drugs and low molecular weight heparins

Rectus sheath hematoma is 2-3 times more common in females than in males.

Vigorous uncoordinated rectus muscle contraction: Rectus sheath hematoma has been observed in a healthy man leaping over a ditch and in a woman rising from a chair to adjust a curtain rod. In a similar manner, sports activities, such as golf, tennis, skiing, and weightlifting, have caused rectus sheath hematoma. Activities with significant Valsalva effort, such as coughing, sneezing, straining from constipation, urination, and sexual intercourse, have been implicated in rectus sheath hematoma.

Last edited:
Rectus Sheath Hematoma.

Anticoagulation is a well-known risk factor. The incidence is thought to be on the rise, with the increased use of oral anticoagulation drugs and low molecular weight heparins

The question remains, why is it thought to be on the rise in anticoagulated patients? I'm looking for studies and the deciding factors for the basis of the statement.

Anticoagulation is a risk factor in life. It's not the cause, so why is it seen more or thought to be seen more?

I read one article where it was misdiagnosed, when it was actually an aneurysm rupture.

I wonder if having BAV would put me at higher risk because of connective tissue problems.

I'm sort of wondering the samething myself. I haven't been diagnosed with either, BAV or connective tissue disorder, yet my tissues are junk. You now have me on a quest for more knowledge.

I have never been told anything about connective tissue disorders in relation to BAV. I learned about that here on VR. I do tend to get really deep stretch marks and of course had my aortic aneurysm. After having my 2 kids I had prolapse of basically everything "down there". Of course because no one dr ever looks at all of these things together they never have been linked. I think my connective tissues are crap too. I did have a MRI on my brain in Jan. to look for aneurysms but found nothing.

The question remains, why is it thought to be on the rise in anticoagulated patients? I'm looking for studies and the deciding factors for the basis of the statement.

Anticoagulation is a risk factor in life. It's not the cause, so why is it seen more or thought to be seen more?

I read one article where it was misdiagnosed, when it was actually an aneurysm rupture.

I believe that in people not on anticoagulents, they can still get the small artery and or muscle tears, but they stop bleeding sooner, so it doesn't get to the pooled blood/hemotoma stage, they "just" have a torn muscle. and not the Rectus sheath hematoma (or whatever body part the torn muscle happens in that the hemotoma would form in)

It would be interesting to know if/how BAV and the conncective tissue disorder could make it esier to get the small tears, it kind of makes sense that it would play a factor since the tuissues are weaker.

I've had so many hernia repairs, that my entire abdominal wall is now lined with mesh. I sometimes think that because of that mesh screen, it's not allowing for growth of the organs and makes me appear fatter then I really am. Of course, without it, my organs would be hanging down my right side. I have an abdominal incisional hernia that has been repaired 4 times and is back again. Surgeon said forget it, nothing more can be done. No good tissue to sew too.

I've had so many hernia repairs, that my entire abdominal wall is now lined with mesh. I sometimes think that because of that mesh screen, it's not allowing for growth of the organs and makes me appear fatter then I really am. Of course, without it, my organs would be hanging down my right side. I have an abdominal incisional hernia that has been repaired 4 times and is back again. Surgeon said forget it, nothing more can be done. No good tissue to sew too.

IF I waas a computer talented as you this would be where i would stick that cute picture you have of this is worthless with out pics (in a speedo)

I know this is old, but wanted to chime in because I believe I had one of these happen to me a few weeks ago, just not as severe.. I started working out hard core at the gym and doing ab exercises.. then one day I was sitting down in my son's room and when I bent over I immediately had a very sharp pain and swelling in my rib cage. I couldn't even move for several minutes or pull myself up straight. It was excruciating pain! I finally was able to start moving again, but it was sore for weeks in that area.. I immediately thought it was some sort of hemotoma since it felt like a muscle bulging out of my rib cage! I'm so glad I read this thread so I know to be more careful in the future! Hope you are doing well!

Back