Blacked out, hit my head and concussed...can't wait to get off Metoprolol/Coversyl

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lyn,
Thanks for your concern. I am getting better slowly. Lots of bruising now, but that will pass. I look like a racoon :) My head and concussion seem to be ok so far. I get a bit light headed occasionally but nothing too much. I am taking it very easy.

Tony

Hi Tony; I had an experience similar to yours. I was just home from the hospital, was still anemic, had a heart still in failure mode and had low BP which would really drop for a couple of hours after taking my morning dose of metoprolol, even though it was a very low dose (6.25 mg). I jumped up to answer the door ("jumped" is kind of a relative term lol), opened the door, felt lightheaded, went to sit down on a bench by the door, and woke up with my face on the floor, my glasses a couple of feet away, my watch strap busted, a stiff neck and a scrape and bruise on my cheek. Very, very disorienting feeling, and one I don't care to repeat. I was actually lucky; the guy who was at the door steered me away from a very heavy and solid hardwood buffet; otherwise I would have slammed face first into it and likely matched your concussion, or worse. I seem to respond really strongly to some meds, and metoprolol is definitely one of them. Sorry to hear of your fall; must have been pretty traumatic for your family. Hang in there!

Hey Gerry,
Sounds very similar. Glad you were ok. It took my nose 12 days to stop bleeding - warfarin no doubt contributed to this long bleed. I am still getting periodic cramping in my head and light headaches around my temples and behind my ears still. I may go see a concussion expert/dr. I never expected that I would be more worried about my head than my heart at this stage. Its really tough right now because I was just off work for 3 months for my heart op, and am now having to cut back my work, since I use a computer all day - too much computer time and I get headaches and some nausea feelings. The recovery was going so well until this fall. This is actually more stressful than my heart was I think. I'm just praying it passes.
T

Hey Gerry,
Sounds very similar. Glad you were ok. It took my nose 12 days to stop bleeding - warfarin no doubt contributed to this long bleed. I am still getting periodic cramping in my head and light headaches around my temples and behind my ears still. I may go see a concussion expert/dr. I never expected that I would be more worried about my head than my heart at this stage. Its really tough right now because I was just off work for 3 months for my heart op, and am now having to cut back my work, since I use a computer all day - too much computer time and I get headaches and some nausea feelings. The recovery was going so well until this fall. This is actually more stressful than my heart was I think. I'm just praying it passes.
T

I'm sorry to hear things are still going on.I am sure, (unless they are pretty heartless people) your work understands why you aren back full steam, I'm sure they know you rather not be dealing with all of this and the head ache and ear fluid and be at work too. I'm glad to hear your nose finally stopped bleeding..I can imagine how frustrating i was blleding almost 2 weeks.

Since you still are having the head aches around your temples and behind your years, have they done any recent testing to to make sure all the bleeding and old fluid is going away?

IF I helps, I know the risk for a bleed increase because mechanical valves need anticoagulants to prevent clots but the coumadin increases bleeding, so hopefully you got over your "event" early in the game and once this clears up you never have another problem...We wil think positive for you

Back