Birth Control after Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibu82

hi!

any women here on birth control after having their replacements? i am nervous to start mine, but my doctor always tells me pregnancy is more dangerous then taking the pill for anyone, surgery or not.

just curious if anyone else takes it?

jackie

Malibu....put your husband at the keyboard....we've had a previous discussion somewhere here about vasectomies.
Personally, I would never take another med that was avoidable, my husband "manned up" and got the snip
well before my heart surgery. It was an easy decision for us, I already had an amazing daughter, and my
heart murmur trumped his fear of doctors. :)

Just curious Bina .....was this a consideration?
MaleBirthControl.jpg

Hi Jackie-

Yep, I am! I came off the pill before my surgery but mainly because I didn't know how they would give it to me when I was unconscious and I didn't want to get breakthru bleeding!! I went back on it after my next period, my doctors weren't concerned. That's the only med I'm on though so there's nothing for it to interact with.

-Di

I havent had a replacement yet, but I've had 2 OHS and an ablation I am currently on ortho tri cyclen lo, with plans for the mirena in the works. My ACHD cardiologist said that mirena was an excellent option for me as the hormone levels are very low and more locally acting than systemic, and I just found out that there's no need for pre procedure antibiotics for the insertion unless you have infection going on up there, my boyfriend and I have been together for 6 months, we are planning on eventually getting married, and having kids (was given the OK for having kids in my case) so, I thought mirena was a good option as its a low maintenance long term BC option thats not dependant on compliance (personally, taking pre dental antibiotics freaks me out being on the pill, scared out of my mind that I will end up pregnant)

my 2 cents!

was in the same boat

was in the same boat

I was without anything for over a year before I finally went to a gyno and got on depo, and then the generic version of it, the shot every few weeks. I am still on it and have very few problems. I will off it in less than four years, I am now 46, been on it for 9 years. Either you get on some kind of birth control or the hubby should consider the snip. You do not want to have a baby if you on any blood thinner, birth defects. So be more educated and make a choice for you. It is your body and your decision. You will make a good choice. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Was in the same boat

Was in the same boat

I was without anything for over a year before I finally went to a gyno and got on depo, and then the generic version of it, the shot every few weeks. I am still on it and have very few problems. I will off it in less than four years, I am now 46, been on it for 9 years. Either you get on some kind of birth control or the hubby should consider the snip. You do not want to have a baby if you on any blood thinner, birth defects. So be more educated and make a choice for you. It is your body and your decision. You will make a good choice. :thumbup:

Last edited:
thanks everyone! the reason for the birth control is just to control my crazy periods i have been having. i would like to have another baby , probably going to try next year so i dont want my husband getting the snip...yet! haha!

i feel comfortable going on it after hearing from you all, and trinity heart, you brought up a good point about being on birth control and then having to take antibiotics before certain procedures making the birth control ineffective for a period of time. never even thought of that!!

Back