Bicarbon Livanova

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATHENS1964

Hi everyone!
I would love to hear opinions for the new aortic valve bicarbon of Livanova that tace CE mark recently ,also if there are data and what the difference with on-x cryolife .

From what I can tell, the Livanova bicarbon valve is the new name for the Sorin bicarbon valve. Livanova was formed in 2015 by the merger of Sorin and Cyberonics. I can see a couple long-term studies for the Sorin bicarbon valve where it appears to have good results - similar to studies for On-X, ATS (now Medtronic), St Jude. I really can’t see any evidence to strongly favour one over the others. All of these valves were developed in the 1990s (by the same people - they made the original mechanical valves together before going their separate ways). They have very similar designs with pyrolytic carbon. Maybe the Medtronic (ATS) is the quietest, On-X has more evidence with lower INRs, St Jude has the most clinical experience. The Livanova appears similar. Look up Sorin bicarbon valve to find out more.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

[QUOTE = "Astro, post: 893202, μέλος: 17279"]
Από ό, τι μπορώ να πω, η βαλβίδα ντίζελ του Livanova είναι το νέο όνομα για τη βαλβίδα bicarbon του Sorin. Η Livanova δημιουργήθηκε το 2015 με τη συγχώνευση του Sorin και της Cyberonics. Μπορώ να δω μερικές μακρόχρονες μελέτες για τη βαλβίδα bicarbon του Sorin όπου φαίνεται να έχει καλά αποτελέσματα - όπως και για τις μελέτες για On-X, ATS (τώρα Medtronic), St Jude. Δεν βλέπω πραγματικά κανένα στοιχείο που να ευνοεί έντονα ένα από τα άλλα. Όλες αυτές οι βαλβίδες αναπτύχθηκαν στη δεκαετία του 1990 (από τους ίδιους ανθρώπους - έκαναν τις αρχικές μηχανικές βαλβίδες μαζί πριν προχωρήσουν τους ξεχωριστούς τρόπους). Έχουν πολύ παρόμοια σχέδια με πυρολυτικό άνθρακα. Ίσως το Medtronic (ATS) να είναι το πιο ήσυχο, το On-X έχει περισσότερα στοιχεία με χαμηλότερα INRs, ο St Jude έχει την πιο κλινική εμπειρία. Η Λιβανόβα φαίνεται παρόμοια. Αναζητήστε τη βαλβίδα bicarbon του Sorin για να μάθετε περισσότερα.

Υπάρχει κάποιος άλλος γνώμη;
[/ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
Has St Jude the same valve as on-x that does not need so much thin blood (INR) ?

Last edited:
Has St Jude the same valve as on-x that does not need so much thin blood (INR)
A more salient question to ask is: "in reality does it make *any difference at all* (or is it just a new company trying to find some marketing edge in the paranoia and fear surrounding the ignorance of (hammer horror organ music chord) "blood thinners"
25661591182_0cef44868a.jpg

Basically the only difference is in the marketing department claims (oh, sorry, and in the evidence provided by the millions of trouble free St Judes)
{I have an ATS}

5H1T Astro ... your greek is impeccable ;-)
Από ό, τι μπορώ να πω, η βαλβίδα ντίζελ του Livanova είναι το νέο όνομα για τη βαλβίδα bicarbon του Sorin. Η Livanova δημιουργήθηκε το 2015 με τη συγχώνευση του Sorin και της Cyberonics. Μπορώ να δω μερικές μακρόχρονες μελέτες για τη βαλβίδα bicarbon του Sorin όπου φαίνεται να έχει καλά αποτελέσματα - όπως και για τις μελέτες για On-X, ATS (τώρα Medtronic), St Jude. Δεν βλέπω πραγματικά κανένα στοιχείο που να ευνοεί έντονα ένα από τα άλλα. Όλες αυτές οι βαλβίδες αναπτύχθηκαν στη δεκαετία του 1990 (από τους ίδιους ανθρώπους - έκαναν τις αρχικές μηχανικές βαλβίδες μαζί πριν προχωρήσουν τους ξεχωριστούς τρόπους). Έχουν πολύ παρόμοια σχέδια με πυρολυτικό άνθρακα. Ίσως το Medtronic (ATS) να είναι το πιο ήσυχο, το On-X έχει περισσότερα στοιχεία με χαμηλότερα INRs, ο St Jude έχει την πιο κλινική εμπειρία. Η Λιβανόβα φαίνεται παρόμοια. Αναζητήστε τη βαλβίδα bicarbon του Sorin για να μάθετε περισσότερα.

[/QUOTE]

Guys, I looked into the different valves before my op. The St Jude Regent and On-X were designed by the same person (Bokros). I think this low INR malarkey for the on-x could easily apply to any one of them. The only real benefit of the On-X is the pannus guard. I did my research and chose the On-X. When I first met the surgeon he had just started using it. By the time he put mine in, he was singing its praises.

I have an On-X and aim to keep my INR between 2.6 and 3.5. If you look at Pellicle's graph, the sweet spot is around 3. I don't bleed anymore than before. Initially, after I started Warfarin, I had some classic bruises, but they've settled down now. I have noticed no real difference between pre surgery and triple the 'normal' INR.

Warfarin makes very little difference to lifestyle, unless you do full contact sports. All it means from me is an extra pill.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Agian, post: 893207, member: 14599

Warfarin makes very little difference to lifestyle, unless you do full contact sports. All it means from me is an extra pill.
[/QUOTE]

I fully agree........in fact, the ONLY problem I've had (stroke in 1974) was due to low INR......probably under 1.5.

Last edited:

[/ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
Has St Jude the same valve as on-x that does not need so much thin blood (INR) ?

From what I can tell, the On-X with a range of 1.5-2 is the lowest. The lowest range for St. Jude I've seen is 2-2.5. That's what I have. Per my doctors, I can go lower for short periods of time for surgical procedures. For one procedure I stopped warfarin for a few days and dropped to 1.5 (IIRC).

I took a livanova biocarbon I can only hear the clicking when I TRY to hear the clicking. my wife says that he hear it some times
To me, it's either non-existent, or just not that big a deal.

Latest posts

Back