Better Living through Chemistry

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esvaja

For my 1st surgery I was a mess as they wheeled me up, I could barely listen to the surgeons words. I've spoken with his nurse & I would like something like Ativan just prior to getting into the prep room. I had Ativan prior to my Lasik surgery & gosh darn didn't i have fun while they sliced my cornea & then did the laser, one of the best experiences in my life. My surgeon'
s nurse told me to ask for something RXed by my Dr. & to let the anesthesiologist know. Has anybody else felt the need for this? I believe that with a better attitude that the outcome later in ICU would benefit it. Pls & thx

If you have anxiety problems, tell them, they might want you premedicated. However, once they start medicating you for OHS, you don't feel anything much less anxiety. They give you a cocktail of several drugs, including fentanyl.

Definitely ask for something if you feel the need. I was given (without having to ask) Versed and fentanyl for several procedures, including my cardiac catheterization and two cataract surgeries, and I believe it helped a lot. I was able to cope easily even though I tend to get very anxious in these situations.

If you have anxiety problems, tell them, they might want you premedicated. However, once they start medicating you for OHS, you don't feel anything much less anxiety. They give you a cocktail of several drugs, including fentanyl.
Well, I did ask my surgeons nurse this question re: some type of pre medication for anxiety, she told me to ask my primary or cardiology Dr here in AA for something & then make sure I report what & how much I'm taking to the anesthetist. Last time it was a wait in the pre-op section, nothing was offered with them seeing how anxious & jumpy, then the darn ride up in the elevator & then through some kind of encouragement speech in the operating room. I personally believe Dr Pettersson (swedish & probably a Viking) would be able to operate on himself without anesthesia. Just my opinion from what I remember in 2011

Back