Beta blocker

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharon K

Hello, a first poster here :)

I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve, dilated aorta and a mitral valve prolapse 8 years ago and have been asymptomatic until very recently. My cardiologist has ordered a ct angiogram which is being done tomorrow for which he has prescribed a beta blocker to be taken tonight and another in the morning to make sure my heart rate is low. My worry is that my resting heart rate is generally low already in the mid 50's. Sitting here typing this it's at 57. Will the beta blocker make it drop any lower? I am very lightheaded as it is and a little worried about taking it. Any insights would be very much appreciated :)

Sharon K - not sure why your GP has prescribed you a beta blocker at all. When you have a CT angiogram the radiologist will give a quck acting beta blocker if necessary, and only if necessary - they only need your heart rate to be 70 or below. My heart rate is always high so when I've had CT angiograms (I've now had three) I get a quick acting intravenous beta blocker there and then on the table and once my heart rate is at 70 they do the scan. The beta blocker is out of my system within a short while. Why don't you phone the department that is doing the CT angio and get their advice ?Hi

Last edited:
Hi Anne, it was my Cardiologist that prescribed the beta blocker and he knew what my resting heart rate was. I also had to get some medication from the Nurse as I have a reaction to the contrast that they inject. The Nurse told me that quite often people are on the beta blocker for days before this test but I only had to take it tonight and in the morning. I actually took it almost 3 hours ago and my heart rate went down to 47 for a while but is back up to the mid 50's. Oh and love the paleo lifestyle :)

Hi Sharon - sorry if I thought it was your GP who prescribed the beta blocker, not your cardiologist. Maybe the protocol for CT angio is different where you are then ? I see you are in Australia - maybe one of your fellow countrymen/women will step into this thread ? Although it was my cardiologist, and once a cardiac surgeon, who referred me for CT angiograms it was all left to the radiologist in the CT departments who were doing the CT angios regarding the beta blocker and other prep - eg no caffinated drinks that day, no food for three hours prior to the scan. They fit the line into which they inject the contrast and use that for the qucik acting beta blocker in the UK. Best of luck tomorrow ! Let us know how you get on !

I'm very paleo :) Been that way for 11 years now, apart from tea with milk and sometimes a bit of cheese :)

BBs don't only slow the HR down. They also smooth it out. If you have lots of premature, skipped, or irregular beats, the BBs will suppress those as well. Mine never go away completely, with exertion they increase somewhat, but after resting 15 minutes they're rare.

My resting HR has been about 52 for perhaps 30 yrs since I was a runner. I have seen it go to 48, but I consider that to mean I'm in better shape if I need less blood flow.

Sharon, you're from Adelaide like me! Hi, from Hallett Cove.

They'll monitor carefully and can give you something, if it goes too low. Don't sweat it. It will go well.

I'm post op. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Paleowoman;n885329 said:
Hi Sharon - sorry if I thought it was your GP who prescribed the beta blocker, not your cardiologist. Maybe the protocol for CT angio is different where you are then ? I see you are in Australia - maybe one of your fellow countrymen/women will step into this thread ? Although it was my cardiologist, and once a cardiac surgeon, who referred me for CT angiograms it was all left to the radiologist in the CT departments who were doing the CT angios regarding the beta blocker and other prep - eg no caffinated drinks that day, no food for three hours prior to the scan. They fit the line into which they inject the contrast and use that for the qucik acting beta blocker in the UK. Best of luck tomorrow ! Let us know how you get on !

Could well be the protocol here. I was told they like the HR to be low already as it saves time......not sure about the duty of care to patients though?? hmmm. I've woken up extremely lightheaded with HR of 54. Hesitant to take the next dose. I'd call the clinic if it was open but I've got an early appointment and it's not open until I'm due to leave.

I'm very paleo :) Been that way for 11 years now, apart from tea with milk and sometimes a bit of cheese :)

I've been paleo for over 2 years and know I always will be, it's a lifestyle now :) I couldn't give up my coffee though but I make my own coconut milk...also love the occasional bit of cheese :)

Paleowoman;n885329 said:

I did post this reply in the previous post....not sure where it went or quite frankly what I am doing lol.

Could very well be the protocol here. I was told they want the HR low when I come in for the appointment as it saves time....not sure about the duty of care to patients??? I've woken up extremely lightheaded with a HR of 54. Very hesitant to take the next dose. I'd call but the clinic is closed until I'm due to leave for the appointment.

SumoRunner;n885331 said:
BBs don't only slow the HR down. They also smooth it out. If you have lots of premature, skipped, or irregular beats, the BBs will suppress those as well. Mine never go away completely, with exertion they increase somewhat, but after resting 15 minutes they're rare.

My resting HR has been about 52 for perhaps 30 yrs since I was a runner. I have seen it go to 48, but I consider that to mean I'm in better shape if I need less blood flow.

Makes sense that they want to smooth it out.

I wish my HR was low due to fitness but unfortunately I also have muscular skeletol issues that prevent me from doing more than incidental excercise. I've seen my HR go into the 30's on a regular basis and a resting HR in the high 40's occasionally.

Agian;n885333 said:
Sharon, you're from Adelaide like me! Hi, from Hallett Cove.

They'll monitor carefully and can give you something, if it goes too low. Don't sweat it. It will go well.

I'm post op. Been there, done that.

Hi Agian, was wondering if there were any Adelaidians around......I'm from southern Adelaide too. Beautiful part of the world.

Would have been nice to be one of those that could grow old without any changes but it seems that's not to be.......I'm a bit of a realist so will just roll with it. Must say though that I am a little bit anxious about it all.

Sharon K;n885338 said:
Makes sense that they want to smooth it out.
They only give beta blockers to slow the heart in CT angiogram so that they get the best quality pictures. My HR has never been slower than 70 for the CT angios I've had and the pictures have all been vey clear. I always ask for a copy of the CD too.

You mustt have had the CT angio by now being so many hours ahead of here ? How did it go ?

Paleowoman;n885341 said:
They only give beta blockers to slow the heart in CT angiogram so that they get the best quality pictures. My HR has never been slower than 70 for the CT angios I've had and the pictures have all been vey clear. I always ask for a copy of the CD too.

You mustt have had the CT angio by now being so many hours ahead of here ? How did it go ?

Hi, yes, had the CT angio. I was able to call the Radiology clinic this morning and they suggested not to take the morning dose which I didn't. I had very little sleep and HR was in the high 40's when I woke. CT angio went well with HR at 50. Was extremely lightheaded and have been most of the day. It's just after 5 pm Thursday now. While being monitored after the angio I could hear the technicians talking about the next patient how they were having trouble doing hers as her HR was at 62. The Nurse told me that they will soon be getting new scanners that are able to complete them with HR's up to 100. Sounds good to be as I'm not in a hurry to ever take a beta blocker again!

Good advice to ask for a CD. I have an appointment with the Cardiologist next Friday, so now it's a waiting came to get the results. I guess if anything too sinister is happening I will hear sooner.

Latest posts

Back