Beta Blocker "INR takes a dive"!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

Tested my INR today after a week. 1.9.

Needless to say....started to panic as I am usually very stable on 6 or 6-1/2 a day.

The only recent change was a decrease in my Inderal LA 80mg (beta blocker) To 60MG.

Upon my appointment with the cardiologist last week he discovered my pulse to be weak (heart beating too slow). Went down to 60MG on the beta blocker and I noticed a change within two days.

My question is since the "beta blockers" slow your metabolism a higher dose would cause you to metabolize your Coumadin slower? My recent decrease caused me to metabolize faster thus the INR drop? I have also gained weight since being on this med. Hoping now I can drop a few!

Ran this by the nurse and she said it makes sense. The only thing that's important now is to get my INR up. Using Lovenox injections as a precaution.

Hi Janie.. Thanks for the explanation from your Cardiologist about the exposure to prolonged hot weather, how that makes the metabolism rise, and that therefore the Coumadin is absorbed quicker, and will therefore show a lower reading.
My results were 2.2 this morning which I think is too low. I am taking 19, 19, 20mg of Coumadin on consecutive days and as you can tell it is not enough to reach the safer 2.5 - 3.5.
I always call it in to my doctor,and they'll call me back this afternoon thinking I am on some crazy herbal or vitamine that makes the INR so low.
I am out in the sun quite a bit, and right now it is "bloody" hot here in Arizona.
I'll have to tell them what you wrote. They'll think I am so smart..LOL!!:p

Hope you're having a dandy in Ireland.
Thinking of you!

Christina

Hey Girlfriend!!!

Will let you know where I stand tomorrow. It has been too hot to stay outside....so I have been in the air. Chauffeuring kids, etc. Not even interested being in the pool with this heat.

I think coming down on the beta blocker caused the drastic drop in my INR. It has been so hard for me not to test today. Very tempted but need to give myself some time for the levels to get back up there. Was always told check in 2-3 days after adjustments. Took 8MG yesterday. Which is 2mg more than my usual 6MG. Went up 1/2 today to 6-1/2.. Hopefully that will fix it!

It was so beautiful in Hawaii last July. 80's no humidity. My INR was right on the money when I returned. Hoping for the same this time! Now If I can just get myself straightened out before leaving so I can leave my Coaguchek behind:D. Leaving on the 27th back in two weeks.

Back