Beta Blocker effects

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

I'm awaiting my 2nd visit to the cardio on the 21st. I may get referred to a surgeon at that visit.

I've been dignosed with moderate / severe aortic stenosis, with some left ventricular enlargement. I've had a rapid pulse (typically ~100) for 20 years. I was already on 5mg Plendil for hypertension, which was controlling it well.

At the first visit, he prescribed metoprolol 12.5 mg 2x a day and increased a week later to 25 mg 2x a day after I let him know I was tolerating it OK. This was meant to slow my heart down and hopefully get it in better shape before surgery. I also have a lot of weight to lose, but I suspect they will operate even if I'm still significantly over. My pulse is now 88-93 or so. :D

Anyway, I note that about an hour after my dose of the beta blocker, I do feel somewhat "drugged" and sluggish. This lasts about an hour. BP sometimes gets down to 100/70 or so, but I don't feel dizzy or faint. After this passes, I feel GREAT, and this is the point of my question.

Could the beta blocker have allowed my heart to recover from some of the enlargement? I know it will have no effect on the damaged valves, but I never expected the drug to make me "feel better." Anyone else here notice this?

Hi Johnny

There has been some recent discussion about the effects of beta blockers (check the threads). Search beta blocker and the posts should come up.

Happen to be one of the individuals struggling with this presently. It has been noted by my cardiologist that the Beta Blocker Inderal LA..... is most defiantly responsible for my weight gain and water retention. Another hurdle was not being able to get my heart rate above 100 while exercising. No way to burn calories. Not even on a low cal diet. The slower your blood pressure, slower metabolism.

We backed off the Inderal to another....lower dose med. The bloating is subsiding already. Not sure how I will do on the new one. It's a huge adjustment going from 78 BMP resting. To 108 resting. In a matter of two days.

Hi Johnny

I just got back from my Cardiologist visit today. I asked many of the same questions and his answer was, "It's possible" but he said it with a bit of apprehension. Could just be my case, I don't know. I don't know the answer for absolute certainty. I was left with the impression that this could be elusive, yet maybe not.

They have me on 2 Beta Blockers and 1 Calcium Channel Blocker. I've been having some water retention and the like, but feel pretty good until about noon, then I get hit with this overwhelming tiredness.

I'm now scheduled for Heart Catheterization on the 19th and depending on what pressures are seen then, will determine how fast they schedule my aortic valve replacement. By the way things are going, I expect to be scheduled immediately after the Cath, at least he sure has mentioned it enough.

Latest posts

Back